Jaguar Forum banner

521 - 540 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Thanks for the kind words Terry!
A DAS6 is a good machine, I had one as my second machine after a cheapo silverline rotary. You can get very nice results with them and I have used one to correct JLR paint on a late 00s freelander which I imagine is the same paint as what was run on the XF range (in regards to its structure and application, not colour range).

The paint is very nice to work with, it is relatively easy to make good improvements, and not that I have gone out to test it; but it is forgiving too. I used Hexlogic pads on my DAS for the JLR paint and have a gallery somewhere. I will see if I can find the forum thread and link it.

The above being said, the biggest gains will be had with having a good technique but also making sure it matches the polish you're using. Speed of machine, arm speed (how quickly you move the machine over the panel) and working time will have the biggest impacts. Pressure on the pad will also play a part.

I cannot remember the RPM rate relative to the dial on the DAS, but a speed of around 2-3 would probably be the best bet. With a arm speed of about 4 seconds per line, these are what I have found to work best for me.

Start on an easy panel like the top of the bootlid, regularly inspect your progress. This is a lovely flat surface, relatively small and very comfortable area to work. Use it as a test bed to see what gives the best result...

I would suggest you put aside a couple of hours to test the work on the panel, that will be the most testing part. Once you've done that, the rest should be plain sailing

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Great work Jordan, and good advice above.

A few years back ChrisSB advised me to use Scholl pads & S20/40. I'm happy with what I do to my car.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Jordan, well done for the paint correction. Ultimate Black is great when polished, just a shame dust and rain show so quickly! My IRR is much better than my UB XFR for that.

I have a DAS 6 and would love to get to use it better. Thanks for the advice. If you have a link to your videos that would be great. Thanks for taking the time to document all your hard work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
no worries guys, I don't have videos, perhaps I typed something wrong in my explanation and for that I apologise! I will have to go through my old stomping ground to find the thread with pictures of the freelander

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
Found a thread of my ZT using my DAS6 here:

Here is the freelander:

The former being solely results and the latter having some info in there...

Yes dark shades are the most difficult and most rewarding, I have accepted as I've got older that it always being in great appearance isn't worth the effort required. Not on a daily car at least

·
17,749 Posts

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Looks absolutely fantastic, well done. IRR polished and in the sun is stunning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #534 (Edited)
Went to fit TV hardware this morning, remove the c pillar:

Got to this point:

Then felt nauseous so stopped...

Later in the day decided to seal the glass, so cleaned them with glass cleaner, then applied glass polish:

Buffed off, then used glass cleaner again, and then used a waffle weave to remove any streaking:

Got the sealant out:

Applied to all exterior glass:

The front and rear screens have had 2 coats, may do another coat later...

The spare bumper grilles that will be used when I change bumeprs were cleaned, then uses 303 to protect, top done, bottom yet to be done.

In person there's a visible difference.

The bumpers will be going to the bodyshop this week along with the project golf. Perhaps be in a position to change the bumpers and sort out the ACC in June... that would also mean having the removable front plate sorted too! Potentially 5 sizable jobs completed in one swoop.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Good work Jordan! (y)

Please keep the updates coming.. it's like jaginfo's very own 'corrie/enders/archers' series.. we are always waiting for the 'Next Episode'... :D

There's a 'link' there... ;)

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
So, here's a question.
How many times can you machine polish and finsh paintwork before you risk breaking through the lacquer?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Once less than one time too many I'd have thought Steve.. (y)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
So, here's a question.
How many times can you machine polish and finsh paintwork before you risk breaking through the lacquer?
Depending on how much you take off each time, you can probably get 4 or 5 goes of the light correction I've done...

I have deliberately burned through lacquer before to see what it took and it really is quite the work, unless on an edge then it is quite easy!

I have a depth gauge for if I ever feel concern, best practice to do it before any correction but with the amount of cutting I do I never have felt concern as such

I'm sure one day that may bite me 😂

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
Haha thanks Pete, always record what I do with images so don't worry, it will continue to be updated until the day it is no longer im my possession

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
We'll still expect updates Jordan, no matter what it is... ;)

:D .. (y)

521 - 540 of 582 Posts