Been better taking out the windows

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
A tin of rainbow paint would have been quite appropriate at the moment... :D

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
When I did mine, I'm pretty sure the lights and grille came out so I didn't have to mask them. The problem with decorator's masking tape is that it isn't impervious to solvent and it was the paint that marked the acrylic. I used ordinary masking tape which protected the acrylic (apart from the rear window which I think was my sloppiness in applying it).
As someone else has said, that model is a facelift, 2011 model onward. Not the 2010 as the nameplate says. Lights front and back are the tell-tale.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Still banned from working on the car...

Received these today:

After I couldnt find a replacement wheel for the worn volume one and partially worn track skip one, I decided to buy a brand new switch pack.

My trimmed steering wheel should return within the next 2 weeks, so with the replacement air bag to no longer have a dented growler and the aluminium paddles I will have a new looking wheel indeed.

I think that ticks everything off of the interior list that I have.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Got out to the car today, cleaned the wheels and got rid of the bird excrement...

Wheels are a breeze to clean now, spray with fallout remover:

Then I did lightly agitate and rinse with a watering can:

When I next do them I am confident they will be a 100% contact less maintenance. Spray on, pressure rinse, job done.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
A well packaged parcel arrived today:

Content was a TV kit:

It seems some of which came from an R too:

It is very much a novelty, however it was relatively cheap and is a bit of fun to add to the car. Think it leaves the garage opener as the only option it doesn't have, if I found one cheap enough I would probably add thay for the sake of it...

Pretty happy with the work in the garage, may do some more tinkering with the csr tomorrow. Make the most of the weather being decent.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
My steering wheel returned today:

Very happy with it, got the new hardware to go on it too which will be wonderful.

I want to do the smaller jobs I had planned whilst the car isn't going anywhere so it actually gets done!

No rush for the wheel to go in, I've had the spare months anyway

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
spent a short bit of time this afternoon on the car, wanted to get the bonnet hinge off but it was putting up a fight and I got frustrated very quickly...

So I left it, noticing the engine bay is very grubby again, probably from the garage visits and work:

Decided to take the bonnet insulation off:

The insulation ideally would be replaced, i will look for the part number and see the sort of price and decide on how I will proceed:

Cleaned the engine bay, got it looking much better:

Then noticed some stickers are faded:

I will look fornpart numbers and prices of these too...

Dressed the bay with 303:

Cleaned the insulation, using mums car as a table:

That will get some form of correction when the paint is done again so doesnt matter too much...

Put the insulation back on with the scrivets but not the main clips:

Cleaned the clips, they looked like this before:

Then coated them all with 303:

I need one of those too...

Then I bagged up all of my dirty cloths in the garage and brought them in:

Filled the bath with hot water and soap, chucked the cloths in:

Water very quickly went dirty, then after the scrubbing it looked like this:

Drained it away to leave this:

At this point I had put 5 or 6 cloths aside to go for round 2, dad came in and said "you know mum cleaned the entire bathroom yesterday right? She is in the garden but will be in soon"

So I quickly rinsed the tub, shallowly filled it and did the last cloths again...

Then I chucked them all in the bag, put them in my room and srubbed the bath to death! Went and got some strong bathroom cleaner and went back over the bath to make sure it didn't only look clean but was properly clean...

Managed to get the bath to look like this about 5 minutes before my life would have ended:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
After the round in the washing machine with stain remover and double dosage of detergent, theyre hung to dry for the night...

Looked a lot better than when they went in, still have a lot of staining though, but it does mean that I can promote some up a stage...

Will have to stock up at Costco when normality resumes so I have more for the grubby jobs that require clean cloths on

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Friend came round to ge the bag out today on his way to work, I left the key in the car and he came to took the bag out only.

After 10 minutes I received a quick flurry of pictures:

He left the key on the cluster:

I heard him leave, went straight to the garage got some gloves and my disinfectant, sprayed down all the wheel, door panel, centre console and the removed bag.

Binned the gloves and carried on...

Wheel off:

Replacement wheel didn't have the central plastic piece:

That was simple to swap over though.

Compared my new switch pack to the original, much nicer:

Took the R emblem to clean it, didn't take an after:

Fitted the plastic piece and the switches to the new wheel:

Fitted the aluminium paddles:

Comparison of old and new:

Got it on the car:

And here it is fully fitted:

Much nicer than what came off and very happy with it!

Calibrated the EPB where the battery had been disconnected.

Finally off of the list, and it was on the list before I found a car!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
The new wheel looks MUCH better than OEM!

Don't forget you may need to calibrate the windows as well.
Yeah, it now matches the interior, very happy with it!

Yes, will do when I drive it next, or clean the interior which very much needs doing...

The weather drop may delay that

·
17,749 Posts
Looking good Jordan.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Looks really good Jordan. If there was a 30 mins quick swap I would do it!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

481 - 500 of 582 Posts