Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Jaguar XF Portfolio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some advice on buying a new battery for my 2011 XF 3L D as i think i might be buying something that is not really needed and paying over the odds.

I am looking to buy this AGM battery from Halfords that comes with a 5yr guarantee which is £186. The battery is for a start-stop engine which i don't have, so not too bothered about that. But reading through the forums seems like other folks have bought other batteries cheaper from online sites but website links have expired so not sure what the battery was they purchased.

I did read somewhere that AGM is the way forward for batteries. Is this worth it? Or am i going overkill getting this?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Current Battery (not sure if this is the original but its over 5yrs old as i've never changed it)
VARTA
12V 90Ah
RC 150 MINS
950 AMPS (SAE)
9X23-10655-CA

Hassan

·
Registered
589 Posts
AGM batteries recover quicker, but your right in saying your car does not need this type of battery, just a normal wet-cell.
019 is the battery type/size, I bought an Exide 100ah rather than the 90ah, as it's the same size so will fit the tray.
I would rather have a higher rated battery than an AGM.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cheaper to go with genuine Jaguar battery that is made for your specific vehicle.

C2Z10605 - £164.04

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
AGM batteries also need a specific charging regime, different from "normal" flooded cell types, so if your car didn't have one to begin with, it won't suit.

Reactions: Popeye and FCS

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I agree with Wilf, however my experience is an AGM battery will charge just fine in a car designed for a flooded cell battery, I know as both my cars came with AGM batteries. The XF-S still has one and I've never suffered a battery charge issue. It is a Classic so doesn't have stop-start tech. However, as has been said, it's pointless tech to fit to your car so stick with a flooded cell type.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Bosch S4 and Varta silver are also available from ECP (euro car parts) for a similar price. That said Halfords are renowned for being very good with thier warranty returns procedures, some don't even test the battery and will just swap it for a brand spanker.

£186 is a good price for an AGM too, and you'll find it will be actually made by a reputable manufacturer such as Varta.

For that reason I'd steer clear from a Jaguar dealer as they'll argue it till they're blue in the face if there's a problem a couple of years down the line.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bought mine from Tayna batteries about 18 months back, AGM 4 year warranty £119 delivered next day. I would recommend changing the stop start battery as well, they were £49 at the time which was half what ECP/CP4L were charging at the time.

·
Registered
2011 Jaguar XF Portfolio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice!

It's a bit strange that when i pop my registration into ECP, Halfords etc they always suggest AGM batteries which I don't get why?

When I had a battery test done at Halfords the guy was convinced my Jag was start/stop i told him no its not, i've never seen it.

Then i spoke to my brother in law when he bought an S class, he told me that he didnt even realise his car had stop/start until he replaced the battery, but because his battery was low at the time of buying the stop/start didn't function anymore, but when he changed it, it started working gave him a shock when the engine turned off at the lights.

Anyone know what year start/stop was introduced to the XFs? I have a 2011 3L D, had it for over 5 years am I right in thinking my car definitely does not have stop/start?

I'm assuming that SAE is the battery type in my original description? And if it was stop/start then it would be AGM?

Confusing.

Thanks for the help! Appreciated.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you don't have the button marked ECO under the radio then you don't have stop start. I'd very much doubt it on a 2011. Look in the boot, see if you have a second small battery near the back of the rear seat - I doubt you do. Yes - AGM battery fitted OEM for stop/start.

If that's your actual car in your picture which shows a non facelift, then deffo no stop/start. ECP and the likes get many things wrong, like saying you need 326mm discs for a XFS etc. Check for yourself in your car.

I also believe Yuasa supply the Halfords badged batteries. The AGM version is cheaper @ Tayna but sure you don't need AGM unless you want to pay more. A YBX7019 or equivalent will be enough.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Also, bear in mind that some manufacturers don't show the UK standard battery size on the battery. I thought my Bosch S4 was the wrong size and nearly took it back. It was an 019 (UK standard) size, but it shows on the side as an 013 which I think is the international or thier own designation sizing system.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Oh and get spraying that clamp bolt and take it very easy. Work it side to side until it frees, if you force it, it'll snap off.

·
Registered
2011 Jaguar XF Portfolio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't have the button marked ECO under the radio then you don't have stop start. I'd very much doubt it on a 2011. Look in the boot, see if you have a second small battery near the back of the rear seat - I doubt you do. Yes - AGM battery fitted OEM for stop/start.

If that's your actual car in your picture which shows a non facelift, then deffo no stop/start. ECP and the likes get many things wrong, like saying you need 326mm discs for a XFS etc. Check for yourself in your car.

I also believe Yuasa supply the Halfords badged batteries. The AGM version is cheaper @ Tayna but sure you don't need AGM unless you want to pay more. A YBX7019 or equivalent will be enough.
Thanks mate yeah i don't have any of what you mention...so defo not a stop/start model!

·
Registered
2011 Jaguar XF Portfolio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll just get a normal flooded cell battery from those mentioned above, thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts