Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
I haven't tried no. I'm worried that it's stuck on there equally bad and I'm going to be doubly screwed if I attempt. Also then I need new oil rings and a special tool to put it back in :/
I started the job late afternoon. It took me 30mins to take knuckle down. Cracking half shaft was so easy that I feel I wasted £18 on hub puller. However I couldn’t press the hub out of knuckle due its awkward shape.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ok the left bearing put me in a situation just like you. If you made any progress please let me know. It is really strange the other side came out in no time. Also its a stainless steel to steel contact. Not sure why they are fused! I am starting to think these hub pullers are not up for the job. I used bar to prevent rotation and it easily damaged the thread. I am not sure if I go for a quality brand of the same type of puller or a hydraulic puller off ebay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So you just pulled the assembly off the halfshaft???

Fuck my Canadian Jaguar rust package.

15 ton hydraulic press is on the way (chinesium, but only $107 CAD). Thinking of videoing it just so I can remember this stupid hub losing or my tears when it breaks the puller...

Found UK version:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Don't think I'd trust that puller, I think the chinesium will give up way before the hydraulic ram can get anywhere near its claimed 15 ton pressure, the legs, spider or bolts will fail.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I await its arrival and your update with bated breath! It's actually much more beefy "in the flesh" than the pictures would suggest.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yea it's not the best, but it's either that or 1k puller. A few reviews seems to show to working ok for atleast one repair.

Have you seen this type:

I am going to buy an air hammer and see if vibration helps. I soaked the joint in wd40 and brake fluid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Have you seen this type:

I am going to buy an air hammer and see if vibration helps. I soaked the joint in wd40 and brake fluid.
I have, but my problem is with such tonnage I would need either a heavy duty air wrench to turn it or break another few ratchets with the 10 foot cheater bar. Also even with the smaller screws I've seen them "digging" into the axle making the indent in the end larger.

I am hoping the hydraulic assist and the fact it just pushes straight (instead of turning) protects the axle as well. I'm only worried It won't grab onto the wheel hub (because it's angled).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have, but my problem is with such tonnage I would need either a heavy duty air wrench to turn it or break another few ratchets with the 10 foot cheater bar. Also even with the smaller screws I've seen them "digging" into the axle making the indent in the end larger.

I am hoping the hydraulic assist and the fact it just pushes straight (instead of turning) protects the axle as well. I'm only worried It won't grab onto the wheel hub (because it's angled).
Actually this one is also hydraulic.
the hub puller I had was like yours. I contacted Amazon and they offered a refund. Then I went to a local shop that I trust them, machine mart. They had a slightly different type. Bolt was larger in diameter and thread is worm type. The one I got off Amazon had a sharp V shape threads and looked much weaker. The guy said if threads are damaged, they will refund! So nothing to loose. I hope it works.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think for this very reason (among a few others) I'm definitely going to keep the extended warranty running on my XFR!

Reactions: MyIRRCat

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It’s a general wear and tear. Is it covered?
It really isn’t bad if you have right tools or high quality tools.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've had both of my front bearings done under warranty so far :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My XFR is at 100k miles so warranty isn't an option. But in the future if someone offers to do wheel bearings for $300 I'd suggest others take it.

The tools, time, and research I've had to go through for this thing is ridiculous.

I hope the worm press works for you Ham and it's as easy as the right side lol.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My XFR is at 100k miles so warranty isn't an option. But in the future if someone offers to do wheel bearings for $300 I'd suggest others take it.

The tools, time, and research I've had to go through for this thing is ridiculous.

I hope the worm press works for you Ham and it's as easy as the right side lol.
Thanks. Will report back. It probably will be tomorrow until I can try it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ok this tool also failed. The bolt is very strong but of the cup bases cracked. I should have stopped before it brake and use some impacts while it was under load.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The 15t puller has arrived. 2 days from order to my door which is pretty amazing in Canada.

Going to see how it works...

Update: first off they sent me 11 tons not 15 and the spike isn't long enough (because of how far the arms need to reach to grab the wheel hub), so need to find something I can use as a middle bar.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Good luck. I will wait to see your progress. Otherwise will cut the knuckle.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am almost done cutting everything to have shaft out. Where are you at?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The 15 ton puller hasn't helped very much, if at all. Trying heat and cooling penetrant hasn't worked so far and I'm thinking I'll just need to try and pull the entire half shaft out with the hub and take it to a machine shop.

Unfortunately running out of ideas as a DIYer and finding used parts for an XFR is nearly impossible in Canada, so don't want to try and find a new knuckle or halfshaft if I don't need to... Ugh

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
I feel your pain.

Never give up though.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts