Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So good news!

Broke 2 more tools and wheel hub is still stuck on there....

Broke the hub puller by the threads being stripped on the bolt by its own housing wtf and then also broke the 7 ton puller by having it send shrapnel pieces of its housing around my garage.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Good grief!
Time to get the blow-torch out and put some centigrades into it. Show it who's boss!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I need to find another tool to use while also putting heat on it.

....my wife keeps telling me "we could have had it done for 300 dollars...." No! It wouldn't have been only $300, that was just a quote based on workshop manual and this is so far past what the workshop manual says should be required...grrrr

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Could you free the knuckle and pull it out with halfshaft in place then take it to a shop or buy a used knuckle and replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm sure I could replace the whole thing, but getting to the half shaft where it connects to the diff is hard without a lift because the workshop manual also advises that you need to remove the bracing (on xfr) and replace multiple rings.

Trying a puller kit tomorrow with a 10 lb slide hammer to see if it works and another axle puller. Already have the bearing on its way and 3 new lugnuts.
I'm going to be using heat this time though as I'm picking up a torch (only propane, but something is better than nothing).

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Goog luck!

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
875 Posts
Thought….this bearing better be knackurt when it does finally come out……name witheld.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Kk new tool and propane torch.

Getting a few pops out of it but 2 things I'm not doing with the screw this time 1. Hammering on the screw that is providing force on the axle (think this is why the threads were f'ed on the first one) and I noticed the screw getting hotter as additional force is applied (as expected) so I'm letting that cool down before continuing.

Total progress so far..

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Kk new tool and propane torch.

Getting a few pops out of it but 2 things I'm not doing with the screw this time 1. Hammering on the screw that is providing force on the axle (think this is why the threads were f'ed on the first one) and I noticed the screw getting hotter as additional force is applied (as expected) so I'm letting that cool down before continuing.

Total progress so far.. View attachment 187408
Does it mean that whole knuckle is coming off from half shaft?! If yes, all joints holding the knuckle should be removed to let it move.

I thought only hub should be pulled out in this step. Something like this:

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Nightmare for you. More heat and brute force is the only way that is coming off. Ideally you would take the whole assembly off the car and get someone with a decent size press to press it off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does it mean that whole knuckle is coming off from half shaft?! If yes, all joints holding the knuckle should be removed to let it move.

I thought only hub should be pulled out in this step. Something like this:
View attachment 187409
The workshop manual advises that the top link for the assembly is the only one connected and then the axle needs to be pushed out of the assembly before you can try and remove the wheel hub with a press and then get to the wheel bushing...

Once the axle is out I'm taking the entire thing to a machine shop/mechanic to have them press out the hub and wheel bearing and press it back together.

My concern is trying to get all the crud off the axle so I can slip it back into the hub when installing :/

But lets be honest, this thing is waiting for a human sacrifice before it comes off...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The workshop manual advises that the top link for the assembly is the only one connected and then the axle needs to be pushed out of the assembly before you can try and remove the wheel hub with a press and then get to the wheel bushing... View attachment 187417

Once the axle is out I'm taking the entire thing to a machine shop/mechanic to have them press out the hub and wheel bearing and press it back together.

My concern is trying to get all the crud off the axle so I can slip it back into the hub when installing :/

But lets be honest, this thing is waiting for a human sacrifice before it comes off...
You are right. That’s very odd way of doing it. All videos I have seen, they take the hub out by splitting the bearing. In that case, don’t trust WM. remove all bolts you see holding the assembly. Except for one loose bolt to prevent rotation. I hope you haven’t overlooked the abs sensor.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just found this:

and this:

second one aligns with diy videos I have seen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Yea, seems all those dyis are in less rust prone areas than Canada.

I'm trying the slide hammer now and seeing if I get any progress for the hearing loss lol

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Your perseverance on this is laudable AngryCanuck, were the car mine it would likely have several badly misshapen body panels by now..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I hope you have better luck than I Ham!

My next thought is to buy a 15 ton portable puller and hope to god it works lol

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I Ham!

My next thought is to buy a 15 ton portable puller and hope to god it works lol
Oh cr4p, sorry to hear that it's coming to that AngryCanuck.

Stubborn little whatsit isn't it!

'Job satisfaction' when you complete the task is going to be absolutely immense though!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Have you tried pulling the half shaft out from diff side?
I haven't tried no. I'm worried that it's stuck on there equally bad and I'm going to be doubly screwed if I attempt. Also then I need new oil rings and a special tool to put it back in :/

21 - 40 of 70 Posts