Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was the day I decided to start going after a loose rear wheel bearing.

First thing: rear axle nut on 2011 Jaguar XFR is 36mm (probably 35.5 but 36 worked) - not listed in the manual

Make sure all the bolts were pre lubricated which made taking the brake caliper and bracket off really easy.

Now I am stuck on the wheel hub. Things I have broken so far:
One ratchet
One 3 arm puller
One 3 foot breaker bar
One socket
One wrench
And most recently the head of the puller itself

So now I have another ratchet, a new socket and a 10 foot bar to try and pull this damn hub. Also bought PB Blaster shares for the amount I'm using.

Going by the workshop manual the clip doesn't need to be removed before the hub bearing but perhaps I'm missing something?

Unsure how to unstick this hub...

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Heat and a high-tensile bolt.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
So today was the day I decided to start going after a loose rear wheel bearing.

First thing: rear axle nut on 2011 Jaguar XFR is 36mm (probably 35.5 but 36 worked) - not listed in the manual

Make sure all the bolts were pre lubricated which made taking the brake caliper and bracket off really easy.

Now I am stuck on the wheel hub. Things I have broken so far:
One ratchet
One 3 arm puller
One 3 foot breaker bar
One socket
One wrench
And most recently the head of the puller itself

So now I have another ratchet, a new socket and a 10 foot bar to try and pull this damn hub. Also bought PB Blaster shares for the amount I'm using.

Going by the workshop manual the clip doesn't need to be removed before the hub bearing but perhaps I'm missing something?
View attachment 187311 View attachment 187312 View attachment 187313

Unsure how to unstick this hub...
That’s scary because I am going to do the same in very near future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hub puller (attach to the studs and bolt to push on axle) seemed to be the best bet so far. The 3 arm pullers slip off because the back of the wheel hub is angled.

It's still stuck on there until I can either find a replacement screw for the puller or buy another one. I have made about 2-3 cm of progress - over 4 days...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The hub puller (attach to the studs and bolt to push on axle) seemed to be the best bet so far. The 3 arm pullers slip off because the back of the wheel hub is angled.

It's still stuck on there until I can either find a replacement screw for the puller or buy another one. I have made about 2-3 cm of progress - over 4 days...
Have you tried impacts on the puller bolt instead of using extension bar? All videos I have seen use impact wrench on the puller.
the bearing width is 4cm. Hopefully there isn’t much left.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
A hydraulic type puller is better as it multiplies the forces, those are direct thread pullers. A said though, identify the thread on your hub puller, find a high tensile bolt to fit and then heat up the outer side of the hub itself which will expand it enough. Also get some lubrication on those threads as once it starts to tension up, it'll just bind and damage the thread.

Another tip.... once you've got a reasonable level of tension on it, hit all around the hub with a copper hammer, it'll shock it enough to move, and then re-tension and hit again. This is often the key to getting things off with pullers.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Any progress today?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No progress today, I'm sourcing either another high tensile bolt or just another tool to do the remaining. Finding a high tensile 5/8x18 bolt is tough without it taking a few weeks to get here.

Maybe tomorrow or the next day I might just buy another axle puller and give it another go with the suggested extras of heat+banging the shit out of it. I've heard some people needed to get a sledge involved to get the exle out and then take it to a shop to press the hub out.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Could you remove the whole hub from the car and get it in a press? I assume you're using a puller against the driveshaft where you've taken the hub nut off? Just be careful if so as all of that force will be going into the rear diff.

David

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Could you remove the whole hub from the car and get it in a press? I assume you're using a puller against the driveshaft where you've taken the hub nut off? Just be careful if so as all of that force will be going into the rear diff.

David
I think that’s the issue. Half shaft is stuck to hub.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts

David
Just thinking about this, surely only the rotational force will be being held at the diff' as the bolt in the extractor is turned. There should be no longitudinal force. You could be doing this with the half-shaft and hub laying on the ground if you could hold the shaft to stop it turning.
I would think the diff' is up to handling the torque being applied. ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I guess it depends where it's seized. If it's the shaft that's seized into the hub then that would be right. If the shaft is free and the flange is seized to the hub then there could be force landing on the diff.

I might be wrong though! 🤔

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
I guess it depends where it's seized. If it's the shaft that's seized into the hub then that would be right. If the shaft is free and the flange is seized to the hub then there could be force landing on the diff.

I might be wrong though! 🤔
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing . . . about me! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The point is halfshaft should come out in order to press bearing in and out. On Jag, there is only one way to take half-shaft out. And that is by removing the whole rear knuckle. For this, you have to take the hub out first. If you hammer the half-shaft, you are risking damaging the seals. Shaft should be fine. If fact workshop manual suggests these type of hub pullers. However, the knuckle is aluminium and bearing is steel. They almost fuse to one another. If the bearing is really shot, it’s already separated. Otherwise it would be difficult.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So bought another hub puller similar to the one that broke previously. Put lube on all the threads of the screw and where it intersects with the axle. Put more PB blaster on front and back of the axle.

I also disconnected the bottom connection of the hub assembly as referenced in the workshop manual, probably to reduce the possibility of damaging the diff.

I am getting loud clicks out of it when I turn the ratchet with the cheater bar, so I feel that is making small progress.

It is currently tensioned and sitting there with pb blaster overnight so I can try again tomorrow.

PS the car lives in Canada so...rust lol

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts