21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
Reactions: drewdrew

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
Ordered these nuts for the control arms yesterday from Sturgess. They didn't have them in stock so had to order them to Jaguar. Sturgess just delivered them to my house. :) Really pleased with that service!

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,491 Posts
nuts!

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
If I ever bump into the Jaguar engineer who decided to put the transmission cooler on top of the subframe right above the hole for bolt which goes through the control arm bush I will give him a piece of my mind! What should have been a 5 minute job (once the car was on stands with the wheels and under tray off) took 40 minutes all because of a bolt that holds the mount for the transmission cooler being in the way. The Driver's side was dead easy, 18mm and a 15mm for the hub end of the arm, 21 and a 19mm for the large end and off it came. The Passenger side however, was a PITA as there's no room to move the transmission cooled out of the way to get to the 13mm bolt underneath it. I eventually managed to get enough room by carefully levering it up and got my small 1/4" ratchet in there. The Workshop manual I have doesn't tell you this at all but only covers pre-facelift cars. A quick google suggests that only later 5.0L cars have this issue.

The offending article.

No mention of the cooler removal

Now they are both removed I just need to take them somewhere tomorrow to get the old bushes pressed out and the new ones put in.

I also need to come back in here at some point and give it all a good clean. It's filthy!

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
All done. A little bit of a mission as I don’t have a press. Luckily my friend who works for KwikFit sorted me out today.

Wouldn’t be me if I didn’t give things a clean.

Then onto the matter at hand.

Still need to get under the car and give it all a good clean there. A job for another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
But not having a press is the perfect cue to get one!

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
But not having a press is the perfect cue to get one!
It’s the first time in 21 years of driving that I’ve needed one.

·
Administrator
29,273 Posts
Inside out?

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
Well good news! Not only have I fitted them the correct way round the the right way up, they also don’t seem as hard as I feared. I took the car on a 20 minute drive around some back roads this morning and they felt perfectly fine. Definitely harder than OEM, you can feel more of the bumps and camber of the road, but definitely not harsh. Happy so far

Reactions: MattS and PeteA

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Good news indeed then Chris, and good feed back on how they 'feel'.

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
Do you need to get the alignment redone?
In theory, yes. I made sure I put the eccentric bolt back in the same orientation as it was before, so it should be more or less in the same alignment, but best to get it checked.

·
Super Moderator
29,379 Posts
Ordered these nuts for the control arms yesterday from Sturgess. They didn't have them in stock so had to order them to Jaguar. Sturgess just delivered them to my house. :) Really pleased with that service!

View attachment 186796
So the green nuts are the ones that go on the bolt for the large bush. The white ones are the ones for the smaller bolt for the hub end of the arm. I tried to fit them but they only went on a thread or two, the old nut obviously went all the way on. The old nut was also Nylock whereas the new one wasn't. I confirmed with Sturgess and another source that it was the right part number for my car so the only thing I can think of is that Jaguar changed the bolt at some point as well. So I used the old nut.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Are the new nuts possibly philidas nuts rather than nylocks, so they will be tight as that's the locking method? Though they should still go on around 3/4 before tightening up on the threads. Alternatively they may be metric fine threads so as you say, the bolts have changed thread pitch, but they should still be some type of locknut?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts