Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I drove over a pothole while doing Ubers the car drove home fine but the next time I tried turning it on it wouldn’t do anything but turn on all the electronics replaced the battery but unfortunately the same thing just turned on the electronics didn’t even try to start, I take it to a mechanic he jumps the starter and gets the car turned on but the gear shifter didn’t pop up and the car didn’t hold the charge does anyone know what it could be alternator and starter tests good!!!

· Firm Rampant Member
23,745 Posts
Hello I drove over a pothole while doing Ubers the car drove home fine but the next time I tried turning it on it wouldn’t do anything but turn on all the electronics replaced the battery but unfortunately the same thing just turned on the electronics didn’t even try to start, I take it to a mechanic he jumps the starter and gets the car turned on but the gear shifter didn’t pop up and the car didn’t hold the charge does anyone know what it could be alternator and starter tests good!!!
welcome to our forum.

Reactions: Rhizz

· Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,401 Posts
Hello & welcome, try checking all the earth straps first.

· Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,401 Posts
No need to replace, unless they are obviously worn through, more a case of ensuring they are secure at both ends.

Reactions: Rhizz

· Administrator
32,113 Posts
I suspect you could have tripped the inertia switch if the pothole thump was a big one?

Now as to where it might be located.............................???

· Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,743 Posts
Drinkware Cup Font Serveware Circle

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Regardless of push button start or key start, an inertia switch is fitted to many vehicles to help prevent fuel fed fires in the event of a crash. It's a simple mechanical switch which activates upon heavy G shocks, such as in a crash, or sometimes driving over a large hole or curb.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regardless of push button start or key start, an inertia switch is fitted to many vehicles to help prevent fuel fed fires in the event of a crash. It's a simple mechanical switch which activates upon heavy G shocks, such as in a crash, or sometimes driving over a large hole or curb.
I appreciate that but I was asking was the way you showed the same for push start

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the inertia switch in that area*

· Registered
25,010 Posts
I had two scenarios in my 2010 XF-S in which an inertia switch, if there was one, may have triggered. The first was when the PPS system deployed but this isn't such a dramatic event.
But when the car was written off, the front-end collision caused extensive damage. Yet a day later I was able to start the car to drag its sorry carcas onto the back of a recovery wagon. (He wrote, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye, recollecting the scene.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Gav

· Registered
5,743 Posts
I appreciate that but I was asking was the way you showed the same for push start
What do mean by "push start"? We're Brits here, the terminology may be different on each side of the pond. Boot: trunk, wing: fender, bonnet: hood etc. A "push start" here is 3 blokes pushing a car while a 4th dumps the clutch. Only the Jag is auto so no clutch.... I thought you were referring to the push button to start the car, I guess not? What I showed was the location of the inertia switch and how to operate it, just in case yours had tripped.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do mean by "push start"? We're Brits here, the terminology may be different on each side of the pond. Boot: trunk, wing: fender, bonnet: hood etc. A "push start" here is 3 blokes pushing a car while a 4th dumps the clutch. Only the Jag is auto so no clutch.... I thought you were referring to the push button to start the car, I guess not? What I showed was the location of the inertia switch and how to operate it, just in case yours had tripped.
Hey thanks for the lingo update haha so I wanted to let you know I jumped the starter from the starter relay and it cranked so that should mean all the wires are properly hooked up to the starter now I just have to check the fuses to make sure the right ones are getting power and are good fuses because if they’re good fuses than I think that means it’s probably computer based I’m assuming

· Registered
2 Posts
What I showed was the location of the inertia switch and how to operate it, just in case yours had tripped.
What that display also showed was the reset procedure, which describes using the ignition switch to accomplish the reset. Since there is no position "0" or position "II" on the push to start button, it is a wonder how to do so.

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Position 0 is ignition off. Position 2 is ignition on, no engine running, i.e. without pushing the brake pedal, push the start button, to turn the ignition on, to position 2. Push again to turn it off. Keep your foot away from the brake pedal.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts