Jaguar Forum banner

1st oil change

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  dales 
#1 · (Edited)
Changed oil today at 13278 miles (had car 2 months) as I didn't fancy waiting for the 2yr/21k recommended period. Went to my local guys who do the things that I don't fancy tackling. Hardest part was taking off the Air Deflector under shield - getting all those bolts (18), screws (4) and studs (2) out, apart from that it was dead easy but it would be a pain attempting it just on axle stands. Oil was typically black coming out. The filter housing (just under top cover) was nice and clean inside and replacing filter a doddle. The original sump plug was strongly magnetic and had a fair bit of metal 'fluff' on it - replaced with a new 1. Also noticed the sump has a nice fluffy jacket. Engine takes 7 litres oil with filter change - put back 6.5 litres with dipstick showing oil half way between mid and max. Pictures below.

Cost: Castrol Oil at £15/litre, Filter (JLR) £16, plug (JLR) £6. Labour £30 :eek:.

Liquid Fluid Measuring instrument Service Automotive care

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Household hardware Metal Artifact Font Auto part

That should keep the warranty happy. Might give the vacuum method a go next time.

Paul

See less See more
Reactions: dhallworth
#2 ·
I'd definitely go the extraction route next time!

I've read somewhere on here that the extraction method removes virtually as much oil as dropping the sump plug. I'm sure someone dropped the plug and get an egg cup of oil out after it had been sucked out of the top.

David.

Reactions: PeteA
#3 ·
Yes David, even JLR stealers do it. Looks easy compared to fiddling with all those bolts/screws. But wanted to do it via the sump for the 1st go - also gave me opportunity to get a look underneath.

Paul

#4 ·
The top extraction method is a game changer. Takes me about 45 minutes from start to finish and I hardly get my hands dirty.

Reactions: PeteA
#6 ·
The problem is no-one knows if the dipstick tube goes down enough into the sump, no-one has used this method and measured the oil volume coming out.

#7 ·
You get a good idea by the level in the extraction vessel, you know what the sump capacity is, it's not hard to work it out. Phil

#13 ·
Oz of oil??? What's wrong with litres and millilitres? I've no idea what an oz of oil is.

#15 ·
Pint? Other than beer in a big glass....

#18 ·
I'm just messing! I know you guys measure stuff in oz, pints and quarts, which I think is funny. And measure stuff in inches still! Quite how you can be accurate when doing stuff and working out a gap of 1/32" and then adding gaps together to get to a different denominator is just crazy stuff.

#19 ·
.....Quite how you can be accurate when doing stuff and working out a gap of 1/32" and then adding gaps together to get to a different denominator is just crazy stuff.....
1/32" is OK for woodworking but for metal that would be .031". We must be doing something right, it got us to the moon and back :) There is a true story though about a $125M Mars orbiter built by two companies that was lost because one company (JPL) used metric in their calculations and the other (Lockheed) used inches! Metric is s-l-o-w-l-y becoming standard in the USA. I like old English motorcycles (I'm a masochist) and they use inches/Whitworth so it's the Limeys' fault anyway:)

Reactions: idrobbo
#20 ·
Ah, but we started to change to the metric system in the late '60s! Weirdly, we still use miles for speed and road signs though. And milk and beer is still sold in pints.

I had several British bikes, they were horrible. A BSA A10, 650cc twin., Weirdly both pistons rose and fell at the same time, like a single. Boy, that engine vibrated. Couldn't keep your feet on the pegs at over 4k revs. An old Triumph, the oil would fall out the crankcase just as fast as you could fill it....

#21 ·
Don't forget that although they use imperial measurement in the U.S., those units are based on METRIC standards. The U.S. holds one of few copies of the universal standard metre and kilogram that are kept in Paris and their inch, pound and all derivative units are measured against those.

#22 ·
While it's true they signed up the metric treaty, I think recently the way it's done is different as the physical weight standards have changed slightly over the years and they now do it using the atomic weight or something fancy like that.
Edit:

#24 ·
And cups. What is a cup of something? Fluid ounces, weight ounces, pints, quarts, weird size gallons. Why not just adopt the metric system, it really is just so much easier. And uniform. And the same no matter which country you're from or which language you speak. It's also much easier to work maths on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.