Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12v fridge that will also work off 240v AC and it has a 12v cigar plug cable connection. I assume that if I plug this into one of the cigar sockets it will be fine whilst the engine is running but will stop soon after locking the car?

Therefore, if I connect it directly to the battery will it cause the alarm to go off, any ideas? The power consumption is only 46w @ 12v so it won't flatten the battery quickly.

The plan is to use it whilst travelling but take into a hotel room overnight and connect to AC but on days where I'm out and about visiting places I can leave it powered up in the boot where a direct feed to the battery should be easy to do.

Thanks

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
That鈥檚 nearly 4amps so your battery won鈥檛 last long, you鈥榙 be better just like you say connect it to your cigarette socket and have it working whilst you鈥榬e driving and as long as the seal is in good condition it should maintain its cold inside provided you don鈥檛 open and close the door too often or too long

Registered
I have done the same, with a cool box.

I always aim to disconnect when the engine isn鈥檛 running. I鈥檝e forgotten a couple of times - but never left it for more than 10 mins or so.

I have frozen ice packs in there, and make sure the cool box has already been pre-cooled. Last a good 8 hours without power, and everything still nice and cold.

Registered
Agreed 4amps will drain the battery fairly quickly. But if it's a fridge, it should be well insulated and keep cold for a fair while.

Super Moderator
I鈥檝e had no issues running my mini fridge/cool box thing from the power socket in the boot. But yes, after 10 minutes of the ignition being off it will power off as well. Just don鈥檛 open the lid and you鈥檒l be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Keep it filled so everything in it is cold.
The fridge will work more efficiently that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, basically as I thought. I know best to get it down to temp from AC first before loading it up with stuff and plugging in the car.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Registered
Not sure how long a separate battery pack would keep it running for. There are some that can be wired-in to keep charged that with the car running but will then power a device (such as dash cam) when the car is parked. Unless needed very often, freezer packs and insulation are probably best option.

Registered
Is it a constant 46W or is it on demand or something? Just wondering if you could pop a small battery in the boot for the fridge using a switching circuit type device for when the ignition is off and maybe a solar charger to help somewhat maintain the small battery?

Registered
One solution would be a li ion starter battery with a cigarette lighter socket. A 20000 mAh battery would give approx 5 hours use.

Registered
I think you're over complicating something that is in effect very simple. A fridge will keep stuff cold for hours even when switched off. Don't worry about installing extra batteries etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're over complicating something that is in effect very simple. A fridge will keep stuff cold for hours even when switched off. Don't worry about installing extra batteries etc.
No intention of fitting extra battery. Just wanted to confirm power goes off after 10 minutes like the radio does and if I connect direct to the battery is it worthwhile or going to set the alarm off? I'll just plug it in one of the cigarette lighter sockets and then it won't flatten the battery or suchlike.

Reactions: Gav

Registered
No intention of fitting extra battery. Just wanted to confirm power goes off after 10 minutes like the radio does and if I connect direct to the battery is it worthwhile or going to set the alarm off? I'll just plug it in one of the cigarette lighter sockets and then it won't flatten the battery or suchlike.

I didn't mean you, it was the suggestions from other forum members about adding extra batteries etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, just it was also mentioned but for the times I'll need to use it whilst parked it's just not worth it.

Registered
OK, just it was also mentioned but for the times I'll need to use it whilst parked it's just not worth it.

Just a word ScoobyDoo.....I had a dashcam permanently plugged in to cubbyhole socket and a phone charger in the rear socket. No problem for a couple of years then, suddenly, car died with flat battery.
It turned out the 2 sockets (or devices) were draining the battery.
Naturally, I have unplugged them but don't know why it happened. Took ages finding where the drain was .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts