Jaguar Forum banner

Rear Electric Sun Blind

34K views 96 replies 22 participants last post by  googsy1 
#1 ·
#34 ·
Welcome to the show that never ends…

But seems to me it the beginning of the end

So here is some new photos and words about what was done for today.

Firstly I made my personal record for rear parcel shelf dismounting - 10 minutes After the parcel was extraction the bumpers from back side were cut off:

Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle Auto part
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun
Auto part

I made some notes on back side for cutting, armed with a grinder with my best friend cut off part of parcel for future sun blind mechanism.

When the cutting ends, vacuumed both sides of parcel, made degrease and marked places for installing bracing:

T-shirt Neck Fashion accessory
Vehicle
Metal
Material property Hand

When the glue frozen were used isolators sheets:

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Subcompact car
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car

But was found one disparity with brackets - my parcel from X351, so the height bracket too big for my parcel

Vehicle door Seat belt Automotive exterior Auto part Rim

so I had to drill out the mount and put it on tomorrow modernization.

So until tomorrow, I hope

P.S. The sun blind was plug and tested - IT WORKS!!!

#40 · (Edited)
Here is some photos and words about the yesterday's final installation.

First of all must to say that the installation took the most the whole day (from 10 till 19 o'clock :eek:), the main problem was sun blind to force correctly after compound with parcel shelf.

Fasteners glued with hot glue once again and all black isolation which were installed day before on bak side of parcel were removed.

Metal
Mineral Rock Geology Soil

Once set to work on fixing, noticed that the rods mechanism slightly wrong and had to turn them, also had to cut a hole in the parcel for correct work of sun blind.
One of the biggest problem was to set the correct angle for proper sun blind mechanism operation after installing in parcel shelf, but when all operated perfect out of car its work hardly after installing in car (while searching the correct angle :) )

Auto part Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Metal Steel Wood Floor
Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

it took a lot of time setting proper spring tension stringing net

For a clear set I glued the bottom of parcel with lower mantle (grey one shows in previous posts) eventually after fittings of the final installation and noticed that one from 5 times the folding does not have time for mesh folding mechanism, yet decided to go a couple of weeks to check your work in the future, at the same time listen to any newer squeaks!

Bumper Automotive exterior Table Auto part Family car
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

P.S. In a few day 'll make the small video how it works :D

#41 ·
Brilliant stuff! Keen to do the same, but the parts costs here in Australia would run into the thousands of dollars.

#43 ·
Congratulations, glad all your hard work has paid off.

Look forward to the video and seeing the results of your handy work :gt-happyup:

#44 · (Edited)
Hi again!

Three days gone while the sun blind installed, new creaks and noises do not appear :D

Today made the small video for you how the sun blind works, but found one small problem -'cause of the length of the strip delimited little rubs rack in the top position - will be looking for new plastic restraints - stay on tune :)

also post the photo of sun blind connector:

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Electronic device

#52 ·
Well done. That looks completely factory and the operation just the same as mine. In fact one end of mine looked like it was sticking up a bit so I need to look at that this week.

You only live once but if you do it right then once is enough. This isn't a rehearsal.

#68 ·
Where's the switch for it?

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

#73 ·
Michael, you are so helpful it's incredible! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.