Replacement speakers
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Replacement speakers

Looking for some advice from ICE techies. I've got the bog standard Jaguar sound system in my 2014 XF and whilst it's alright for what it is, if I'm keeping the car I'd like to improve the sound.

I'm in the market for replacement speakers but not really interested in adding amps, subs etc. Can anyone suggest a make/model of speaker to replace the 16.5 mm ones in the doors that would make an appreciable difference to what I've got already? I'm not after bass that knocks your fillings out or treble so high it will delaminate the windscreen, just a decent rich sound across the range. I'm also not prepared to throw a fortune at it - accepting that you get what you pay for, but maybe £100 for a pair of speakers. But is it even worth it without upgrading the amp?

I recall a recent thread from a member who had done this, but for the life of me I can't find it now. Any suggestions?

Thanks folks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

Very Active Member
    It depends on the sound system you're having now on the car. Which is it?
    Jaguar XF 3.0D V6 MY2010.

Just the basic factory set up - base level system

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Michael

Replacement speakers

You could change 825W amp, add subwoofer, change speakers, add surround speakers and reprogram CCF file

As variant just change amp and reprogram CCF

P.S. after amplifier changed needs to make reroute of wiring in one connector housing
    13MY 2.0GTDi/Vapour Grey/Winter Pack/Mods: Illuminated footrest VAGhooks, ADM/Powerfold, Sunblind AHB Meridian 825W NAV w Jag Voice Euro 2 Tune XFR front seats

Very Active Member
    Then as you can read here, the very first and easy upgrade is to use the yellow drivers from the premium version. I did it only for the two front drivers and did that because one of the base speakers got bad and found those two premium second hand. The sound improved but there is plenty of space to be filled if you want more, but with amp and source upgrade only if you want to whole full upgrade. For sure it would sound even better with the other speakers but I didn't want to invest that much to swap the fine working ones (would have do it if it was only the speakers or easy amp+head unit swap upgrade but other than spending lots of money is needed also time and genuine SDD).
    Going to other brands it could get even more expensive than finding the second hand yellow drivers and you'll need adapters for them to fit and also adapters for the wires. In the end i think no one did the upgrade with other speakers so you'll just find you own luck without any previous idea of how will sound in the end so probably a path to avoid.

First name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by hulubei View Post
    Then as you can read here, the very first and easy upgrade is to use the yellow drivers from the premium version. I did it only for the two front drivers and did that because one of the base speakers got bad and found those two premium second hand. The sound improved but there is plenty of space to be filled if you want more, but with amp and source upgrade only if you want to whole full upgrade. For sure it would sound even better with the other speakers but I didn't want to invest that much to swap the fine working ones (would have do it if it was only the speakers or easy amp+head unit swap upgrade but other than spending lots of money is needed also time and genuine SDD).
    Going to other brands it could get even more expensive than finding the second hand yellow drivers and you'll need adapters for them to fit and also adapters for the wires. In the end i think no one did the upgrade with other speakers so you'll just find you own luck without any previous idea of how will sound in the end so probably a path to avoid.
    He has 2014MY, there doesn't used B&W speakers.
    13MY 2.0GTDi/Vapour Grey/Winter Pack/Mods: Illuminated footrest VAGhooks, ADM/Powerfold, Sunblind AHB Meridian 825W NAV w Jag Voice Euro 2 Tune XFR front seats

First name
    James
    When I had the standard sound system - I fitted the Meridian speakers.
    The sound improved a bit - but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

A year or so after changing the speakers - I fitted the Meridian surround amplifier... this confirmed to me that the speakers were great - but the standard amp is just a bit rubbish (the standard amp in the 2014 XF also has a lower power output than the one I replaced in my 2012 XF).

James
    Ebony MY2012 XF 2.2 190 Sport LE, black leather/alcantara interior with winter pack. Retrofitted 1200W Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System, power folding mirrors and reversing camera.

Very Active Member
    Exactly my point. With retrofit of only the speakers, the effort and money don't get to the place you'd imagine. You need to go to the full route. And this depends how important is the sound in the car.

Thanks all for the advice - I think I need to give this some more thought but since I am not looking for a more powerful option the best way forward may be to source a decent quality pair of drivers from the front and either find some yellow Jag ones or bite the bullet and work around the Jag connectors for a non-Jag set.

Cheers

Do you have a sub in the boot? I've also got the Sportbrake 2013my (I believe) and have a spare wheel, but no sub. Was hoping there was wiring to add one...

What I'm not sure about is if I add a sub, does it need it's own amp, and enabled in the software or is the boot connector ready to go and be plugged directly onto a sub.

First name
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat-moo View Post
    What I'm not sure about is if I add a sub, does it need it's own amp, and enabled in the software or is the boot connector ready to go and be plugged directly onto a sub.
    If you have entry level Jaguar Sound System, you already have the wiring for sub, but your 8 channel factory installed amplifier doesn't have the line for it. So you need to change amplifier and reprogram CCF file for activating subwoofer option.

I added an external amp and sub in my x260 and its turned a weedy sound system into something sounding expensive - on a real budget as I already had amp and sub.
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

Do you know where the amp on a sportbrake? Is it possible to just split the line in to the sub and run to a 2nd amp to power a sub?

First name
    Michael
    Do you know where the amp on a sportbrake? Is it possible to just split the line in to the sub and run to a 2nd amp to power a sub?
    Amplifier in left side of boot area. You have 2 lines for front tweeters with mid ranges, 2 lines for front Bass speakers, 2 lines for rear tweeters and 2 lines for rear bass speakers

Do you have a sub in the boot? I've also got the Sportbrake 2013my (I believe) and have a spare wheel, but no sub. Was hoping there was wiring to add one...
    Sept 14 for mine Matt. It came without the spacesaver but after 3 punctures and one exploding compressor later (don't ask) I did a deal with the dealership to provide me with the spacesaver and all the kit... so no factory sub. Starting to think that replacing the amp might not be the big deal I thought it was, and whilst I don't really need the big sub this may be the best option for me.

Could still be a my13 need to check the vin

First name
    Michael
    Could still be a my13 need to check the vin
    Give me VIN.

Ok so I've been able to get my hands on the yellow drivers. Hopefully simply swapping these over will be an improvement, but what about the Meridian amp? Can anyone advise me of the part number or post a photo? It sounds like the best way forward is to progress with Jag upgrade parts. What is the requirement for updating the software? Would it work without the software change and if not, does this mean a trip to the Dealership? :-(

First name
    Michael

Replacement speakers

Quote Originally Posted by slightlycaddish View Post
    Ok so I've been able to get my hands on the yellow drivers. Hopefully simply swapping these over will be an improvement, but what about the Meridian amp? Can anyone advise me of the part number or post a photo? It sounds like the best way forward is to progress with Jag upgrade parts. What is the requirement for updating the software? Would it work without the software change and if not, does this mean a trip to the Dealership? :-(
    Sometimes it's working w/o reprogramming as you factory installed amplifier, sometimes doesn't work, if you doesn't reprogram CCF file.

Dealer doesn't make it for you, because they haven't access for engineering codes for change CCF file or refashion SW

Both B&W and Meridian speakers produced on one factory which called PSS

If you audiophile, you'll need change also tweeters and bass speakers additionally midrange changing.

The amplifier for top B&W sound system 600W the same!!! as for Meridian Surround Sound System 825W, this question was described here on forum several times, if you didn't want to searching, here is the WERS number what you need: BJ32-19C164-B* (G/H/F...) or AW93-19C164-B*

Ask @jimini78 for help in reprogramming, he has all necessary stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.