Jaguar Forum banner

Major Service - Using a non Jaguar garage

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pn82hhz 
#1 ·
Hello all

I have a Major Service coming up on the XF 3.0 D. I am thinking to go with a local independent garage that I have used for years on previous cars who can do a major service for around £75 less than Jaguar can. Is there anything I need to be aware of or consider on this decision. The car is still under the 2 year approved used warranty but my understanding is that as long as the correct oil is used it should not affect the warranty.

I would have liked to used Jaguar in order to get the stamp in the book but cannot justify the extra cost for the privilege.

The local garage will also provide a loan car (Jaguar charge £15 for this as it requires a days insurance...)

Thanks

#5 ·
I wouldn't expect any issues if the correct consumables are used, however, see if your local main dealer will price match, many do :)

#6 ·
The only thing that they might not be able to do is to check all the fault codes properly or update anything that needs updating software wise.

I'm going with an Indy jag garage next time. Piece of mind that he knows what he's doing, uses all the correct stuff, can update everything that needs to be updated, can log in and update the online service history, 2/3rds of the cost of a main dealer.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

Hadn't thought about software. If that means the main touchscreen then an update would be most welcome as its very laggy!

Jag came in at £329 + £15 for loan car
Jag independent comes in at £315 all in
Local garage comes in at £270 all in - but will need to check software front and online service update capability (doubt they can do this).

#8 ·
I've used Sturgess Leicester for the last 6 years, the work done is perfection, the courtesy car IS a newish Jaguar not a Fiesta or something and the insurance charge is £10 I believe if your own insurance doesn't cover it. I live East of Nottingham so it's only half an hour or so down the A46 for me.

Forum members get 10% off parts and labour so the 3+ service deal price comes down from £329 to £296.10:

http://www.sturgessgroup.co.uk/jaguar/aftersales/3-years-servicing

#10 ·
Does the 3+ price for discs and pads include genuine Jaguar parts or does it use equivalent non-Jaguar parts?

#12 ·
Thanks - i will get mine booked in to you. My usual dealer told me they don't use Jag parts :(

#13 ·
In the end I got my car serviced with Stratstone Jaguar in Nottingham. Up until recently this was HA Fox and Derby was Stratstone. For some reason they have recently swapped but luckily for me the staff have stayed put. Simon who works in Service at Nottingham is great to deal with. I had booked it in this week but could not make it in time in the morning due to an unbelievable amount of traffic. I called them to reschedule but Simon said he could have my car picked up from my place of work (in Derby) later that morning, serviced and then returned at no extra charge. (The Derby garage insisted that they would charge me £15 for a loan car!!).

Soon after I got to work a member of the Stratstone team met me at reception to collect the car. Later in the day it was returned - fully serviced with no other findings (tyres and brakes were done around 6 months ago).

Excellent customer service! The only thing I missed out on is the opportunity to drive a new Jag loan car for the day....bloody traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.