Aging joints
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aging joints

First name
    Colin

Aging joints

Over the last year I'm finding that on longer journeys my right knee is exhibiting a burning pain which I put down to being locked in a static position for too long. It clears very quickly if I get out of the car and walk around but come back soon after starting driving again. I also find now that sometimes when walking I get a slight pain from my hips.

Talking to my doctor he is quite dismissive of the symptoms and says it is just due to my age and there's little that can be done about it until it becomes bad enough to warrant surgery.

Any views on treatments like glucosamine, cod live oil omega 3?

I'm the wrong side of 60 now so expect a few aches and pains but if I can stave them off for a bit longer I'd like to have a go.
    XF Portfolio in Botanical Green. 3ltr V6

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Jim
    Can't go wrong with cod liver oil Colin. Before you travel rub some deep heat into the joint. Light exercise while you're watching the tele will help strengthen and you don't even have to get out of your chair.
    2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio ​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I would try changing your seating position.

Just back or forward an inch or two will change the angle your knee rests at.
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. A V6 engine and a Portfolio interior are now mutually exclusive if you live in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Dave
    It was actually a hospital eye consultant (originally from Russia apparently, but irrelevant) who sold me on the benefits of Cod Liver Oil capsules.
    He also said that anyone buying capsules less than 1000mg were wasting their money (something to do with the body absorbing any less before it can realise the benefit).
    I've been taking 1000mg Cod Liver Oil capsules every day for 5 years now; along with the 1000mg vitamin C, 15mg zinc, cherry and celery capsules to stave off the gout, multivitamins and garlic capsules.
    Never felt healthier.
    2012 PL 3.0D Black

First name
    Phil
    Hi, try rubbing Ibuprofen Gel into the knee, also take a couple of Ibuprofen before setting off. Phil
    Sent from my computer/smartphone using tappity hunt and peck.
    2008 2.7D Luxury, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, Jaguar Voice, Keyless Entry, ECU Re-Mapped.

First name
    Colin
    Blimey, looks like I'm not alone then!

Thanks, for the advice, I'll try the Deep Heat / Ibuprofen rub on Saturday before setting off.

SO the voting seems to be for Cod Liver oil rather than Glucosamine?

they say olive oil is also good for rubbing in, but popeye might not be pleased
    xj swb now children behave

First name
    Phil
    I was getting similar pain and symptoms and the fix for me is to use a foam roller. It relaxes the muscles and stops them tensing up which can cause the effects described. The hip pain is probably due to your "carrying" the leg.

They cost about £15 and plenty of advice on the interweb to use it. 10 minutes a day is good. Relieve the cause instead of the symptom

2014 XFS Portfolio. Carnelian Red, Ivory/Charcoal/Piano Black, sunroof, camera, diffuser
    Previous 2013 XFS Portfolio. Carnelian Red, Ivory, sunroof, camera
    2010XFS PL Specrum Blue, Ivory, Camera

also good for painting the walls

First name
    Steve
    I'm surprised wee jimmy didn't suggest a 'Special Brew' rub....

Ibuprofen gel works for me on isolated aches.
    My back is a mess after whiplash and a slipped disc, haven't started the cod liver oil, but may well stop by Boots on the way home
    MY2012 XF 2.2D Luxury in Polaris White.

we used to call special brew leg openers steve

First name
    Colin
    That foam roller looks interesting I could watch her all day! Would take my mind off the pain nicely

http://www.runnersworld.com/foam-rol...roller/slide/7

First name
    Dave
    I've had a similar pain when driving the XF. As Wilf says, a slight change
    in seat position cured it for me.
    MY2013 XFS Sportbrake PL in Lunar Grey/Ivory, parking pack, towbar

First name
    Nick
    You could also try different shoes. A pair of very flat loafers works for me.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

First name
    Neill
    Quote Originally Posted by Philayl View Post
    Hi, try rubbing Ibuprofen Gel into the knee, also take a couple of Ibuprofen before setting off. Phil
    Careful of ibruprofen. Managed to give be big stomach problems most of last year. Only now coming through it, and I never took any on an empty stomach.
    Alaskan Racing White XFR-S with full carbon, and most other extras.
    Previous. IRR XFS Portfolio
    Previous. Stratus Grey XFS Portfolio

First name
    Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Careful of ibruprofen. Managed to give be big stomach problems most of last year. Only now coming through it, and I never took any on an empty stomach.
    Yes, I wouldn't recommend taking them regularly but occasionally shouldn't hurt, I take eight Tramadol a day for the pain, they make Ibuprofen look like Smarties. Phil
    Sent from my computer/smartphone using tappity hunt and peck.
    2008 2.7D Luxury, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, Jaguar Voice, Keyless Entry, ECU Re-Mapped.

Very Active Member
    Take care with your heart when doing ibuprofen like junkies.
    I do prefer proper workout that don't put to much weight on the "worn" joint and especially, do not move in a manner it wasn't designed for (example for the lower back is the rotation, and I know this because there is my main problem). You can build the muscles in the are and for the whole body and most, try to analyse many of the activities how they are done (sleeping, walking, standing at the table, waiting standing still, reading, working, etc.). Many affect our joints and some if corrected (even difficult to) could save you happiness for later. The good thinks is that surgery and medicine has evolved very much in this area and if necessary, it's not so difficult anymore to to think of it, to pass it well and recover nice after.
    By the way, cold and without direct sun action, it's very tough for bones and joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Can't go wrong with cod liver oil Colin. Before you travel rub some deep heat into the joint. Light exercise while you're watching the tele will help strengthen and you don't even have to get out of your chair.
    Jimbo I've found that Voltarol is good, used it on my Knees when I was working as always was on my Knees most the time, working on Brake Testers, and Lifts.

Voltarol helped me on Long Journey's.
    " Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, and promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a tyrd by the clean end". Jaguar Sovereign 1998 V8 4.0.

Glenfarclas 105 for me. Works every time but not to be mixed with driving.

First name
    Jim
    Any of those rubs will help ease the pain but it's the underlying cause that needs to be addressed.

I know what you mean though, I ended up using those knee pads from constantly working at deck level on motors and the like.
    2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio ​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.