Replacement high-beam bulbs - Page 2
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First name
    John
    Seems I'm on a learning curve here. What are the "drivers" for? The CREE led bulbs I have on order just clearly replace the H7 bulbs and connect in exactly the same way. Yet those fan-cooled thingies need a driver. Why?

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Steve
    John
    Most LED bulbs come with some sort of external driver/ballast to control them. It stops the lamp triggering the lamp fail routine in the canbus software and also allows them to be 'quiet' so as not ot interfere with the radio/audio system

Putting the driver in the lamp may cause it to overheat and fail.

That's my understanding of it anyway, any LED bulbs I've bought have had them.
    MY2012 XF 2.2D Luxury in Polaris White.

First name
    John
    Thanks Steve. But I still don't get why these . . . .

untitled.png

DON'T need/have a "driver" but these . . . .

Fan.png

clearly DO.

What is the difference?
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Steve
    It's to do with the actual LED type used in the lamp.
    It think the Cree need them due to their higher output. The ballast maintains linear power delivery. The fan cools the lamp unit.
    If you combine them then it becomes too big for the headlamp.

I bought some less bright LED lamps for the eldest's Corsa sidelamps and they had no control/ballast but weren't Cree LED.
    MY2012 XF 2.2D Luxury in Polaris White.

First name
    John
    I replaced my sidelights some time back . . . with CREE LEDs. 😏. (confused.com)

XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

There will be electronics (driver) in the base of that h7 John, unless they're wired led in series.
    Normally you need a constant current driver for controlling a string of LED's which is what will be in the other bulbs.
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

Quote Originally Posted by OBC John View Post
    I replaced my sidelights some time back . . . with CREE LEDs. . (confused.com)

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S
    This will be a series of Cree LED and low power so don't need a driver. They will probably be some rudimental electronics just after the contacts of the 5w5 wedge bulbs
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

First name
    Richard
    I find all this so confusing, I have bought an HID kit with ballast and I understand that, for the dipped beam, however....I tried cutting the wires, threading through the bulb retaining clip, and crimping the wires........it didn't work after that, so I assume it of the HID bulbs. So I bought another set of bulbs and a be something to do with the voltage or frequency pair of the ebay metal clips with the slot in, seen elsewhere in this thread. I could not get the clips to engage and lock the bulbs in. So I gave up .......Ive not even thought about the LED bulbs I bought for the main beam which are fan cooled type with one large LED on one surface & have no ballast.

First name
    John
    Well, I've decided to try these initially (because I've ordered them and are on their way).

uploadfromtaptalk1483992867395.jpg

If they're bright enough, great. If not I'll consider the fan-cooled ones.

XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Y View Post
    I find all this so confusing, I have bought an HID kit with ballast and I understand that, for the dipped beam, however....I tried cutting the wires, threading through the bulb retaining clip, and crimping the wires........it didn't work after that, so I assume it of the HID bulbs. So I bought another set of bulbs and a be something to do with the voltage or frequency pair of the ebay metal clips with the slot in, seen elsewhere in this thread. I could not get the clips to engage and lock the bulbs in. So I gave up .......Ive not even thought about the LED bulbs I bought for the main beam which are fan cooled type with one large LED on one surface & have no ballast.
    Cutting and splicing HID wires isn't recommended as they are HT leads running 6000 and 21000v (some vary) but all run very high voltages to start and run the bulbs.

You need to buy special clips or modify your existing to get them to fit.
    Discovery Sport HSE Lux, Corris Grey with adaptive headlights, camera pack, incontrol remote, all terrain progress control, reduced spare wheel.

First name
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by D3GGY View Post
    Cutting and splicing HID wires isn't recommended as they are HT leads running 6000 and 21000v (some vary) but all run very high voltages to start and run the bulbs.

You need to buy special clips or modify your existing to get them to fit.
    I'm reluctant to cut the original clips, and I have bought the clips with the slot in from ebay, but I just cannot make them fit properly

Its a shame Sunday club is so far away. I'm in Braintree in Essex.

First name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Y View Post
    I'm reluctant to cut the original clips, and I have bought the clips with the slot in from ebay, but I just cannot make them fit properly

Its a shame Sunday club is so far away. I'm in Braintree in Essex.
    People have come from further away, GunGrave came from Holland
    Discovery Sport HSE Lux, Corris Grey with adaptive headlights, camera pack, incontrol remote, all terrain progress control, reduced spare wheel.

First name
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by hulubei View Post
    Second link (for the HID) not working.
    http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/35wsli...lim-8000k.html
    MY14 XJ Portfolio, Polaris White / Jet interior, Chrome Pedals, D3ggy Footrest so far

First name
    John
    The CREE LED bulbs arrived yesterday so I went out and swapped them at lunchtime. This is the view mid-swap. Not so obvious on the photo but the difference is chalk and cheese. I'll try them out on a dark road this evening and if they're at least as good (!) as the halogen bulbs I shall look no further. (There's a pun in there somewhere . . . )

LED v Halogen.jpg
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Phil
    Hi John, was it a straight swap? Phil
    Sent from my computer/smartphone using tappity hunt and peck.
    2008 2.7D Luxury, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, Jaguar Voice, Keyless Entry, ECU Re-Mapped.

First name
    Mark
    The CREE LED bulbs arrived yesterday so I went out and swapped them at lunchtime. This is the view mid-swap. Not so obvious on the photo but the difference is chalk and cheese. I'll try them out on a dark road this evening and if they're at least as good (!) as the halogen bulbs I shall look no further. (There's a pun in there somewhere . . . )

LED v Halogen.jpg
    John, from experience, but I stand to be corrected, they will look fine now but will be useless in the dark.

Very Active Member
    Sorry for the off-topic but I'm wondering this for a long time. My car has halogen bulbs in the specs and I can't find anything like a HID aftermarket ballast near the lamps. Still, they dipped beam fade next second after start and then light up back normal. It's a like a flash when starting. They are also blue-whitish. Might be retrofit with Xenon? How should I check it without dismounting the lamp and check inside?

Very Active Member

LED v Halogen.jpg
    I've experienced two times the T5/W5W with CREE first and COB secondly in the Jag and my fathers BMW. Each of them died or started blinking after a couple of weeks. I don't trust Chinese LED anymore. Off course, Osram OEM LED are running fine in other cars.

First name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by hulubei View Post
    Sorry for the off-topic but I'm wondering this for a long time. My car has halogen bulbs in the specs and I can't find anything like a HID aftermarket ballast near the lamps. Still, they dipped beam fade next second after start and then light up back normal. It's a like a flash when starting. They are also blue-whitish. Might be retrofit with Xenon? How should I check it without dismounting the lamp and check inside?
    The ballasts are screwed to the headlight o the underside. Halogen bulbs don't need ballast though.

Very Active Member
    So without dismounting the headlight, no clue. Thanks for confirmation about the ballast location.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.