Jaguar Forum banner

Replacement high-beam bulbs

8K views 82 replies 19 participants last post by  9570 
#1 ·
This morning, I had reason to look at the front of the car with both headlights and high beams on and was reminded of how yellow the halogen high beams are compared with the white xenon's. So I'm going to replace them. Can anyone tell me what options I have? Is there a white halogen or a replacement LED?

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

#41 ·
I did an HID conversion on my bike dip beam, the following might help if anyone is intending to convert from halogen to HID. Many of the kits come with a large grommet around the cables. You have to cut a hole in the rear cover to seat the grommet.

#42 ·
OK, so I have to admit that the LEDs I've put in are indeed fairly useless for illuminating the road ahead. So, where now?
I really don't want to go down the HID route for a couple reasons. First, I don't want to faff around fitting and wiring up the ballasts. And secondly, because of the initiation time, I've read that you can't really use them to 'flash'.
So I think I'll just stick in the highest powered CREEs and see how they perform.

#43 ·
OK, so I have to admit that the LEDs I've put in are indeed fairly useless for illuminating the road ahead. So, where now?
I really don't want to go down the HID route for a couple reasons. First, I don't want to faff around fitting and wiring up the ballasts. And secondly, because of the initiation time, I've read that you can't really use them to 'flash'.
So I think I'll just stick in the highest powered CREEs and see how they perform.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S [emoji41]
Get the bulbs I told you about for the main beam and the HIDS for the dipped.

#48 ·
Lifted from another forum . . .

Line Text Diagram Symmetry Organism

But doesn't answer my question about what I need for the separate high beam on my pre-facelift. 😕

#50 ·
From one extreme to the other - just ordered a pair of 110W / 20,000 LM led, fan-cooled bulbs. Will post results . . . .

#54 ·
Well, they've arrived . . . .

Microphone

Now just to get them in and see how effective they are.

#58 ·
Well, they've arrived . . . .

View attachment 118049

Now just to get them in and see how effective they are.
And realise that, as Mark (d3ggy) has said, the mount will require some modification so have ordered a pair. Should be here on Friday so the grand switch on will be Saturday evening if you'd all like to go outside and look in the sky towards Halesowen. 😁

#57 ·
20,000 lumens? :eek:
OK, OK, I surrender. I'm stupid! I just checked the blurb and it does indeed say "110W / 20000 LM". But those are the figures for the pair. 55W / 10000 LM per bulb. Doh!!

#60 ·
Way off topic but seeing as you brought it up, there's a fantastic conjunction of planets in the night sky at the moment. If only we could see it . . .
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Bumper

#64 ·
I could see Uranus, clear skies here. Not a pretty sight.

#67 ·
These ones must be good, I reckon John has blinded himself with the new lamps and can't see to reply and let us know how he got on ;)

#73 ·
Fitted the new LEDs this morning. The holding clips had to be modified to go around the larger barrel of the fan-cooled bulbs and fitting them was a bit fiddly but they went in OK and are screwed down nice and tight.

Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel Food

This is the result. Even in daylight they are clearly brighter.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mid-size car

Let's see what they're like up a dark, country lane . . . . later.

Out of interest (I seem to remember someone asking), here is the headlight unit and you can see the xenon ballast screwed to the bottom.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor

#80 ·
Fitted the new LEDs this morning. The holding clips had to be modified to go around the larger barrel of the fan-cooled bulbs and fitting them was a bit fiddly but they went in OK and are screwed down nice and tight.

View attachment 118402

This is the result. Even in daylight they are clearly brighter.

View attachment 118410

Let's see what they're like up a dark, country lane . . . . later.

Out of interest (I seem to remember someone asking), here is the headlight unit and you can see the xenon ballast screwed to the bottom.

View attachment 118426

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S ��
I was asking about the ballast. Thanks!

#76 ·
🙇 I prostrate myself before the alter of all wisdom, . . . . . . aka Sunday Club. 😏

Yes, thanks for the advice Mark.

#78 ·
Not much to see as the dash-cam doesn't do the illumination justice. But these do really light up the road ahead . . . . .

#82 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.