It's Motoring Jim...But not as we know it! - Page 3
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiFox View Post
    Wondered if anyone would spot that. So all driverless car passengers will need a licence to show they can take over driving if required.
    Now assuming the principle that driverless cars are safer will motorway speeds be higher as no fuel being wasted and the cars are in control.
    If anything goes wrong I hope the risk assessment is damn quick as the 44 tonne truck driving straight at me gets bigger rapidly.
    Would you want to take control of the vehicle in an emergency without making sure you were insured & indemnified first? If it's an emergency then by definition it's a critical situation, possibly life threatening, & it could end up being your fault.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Ian
    Surprised no one has mentioned 1984 yet. Yet another opportunity to disenfranchise the tax paying public.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR, D3ggy footrest, Interior LEDs, Red growler, plenty of polish
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

First name
    John
    I am working with several companies in the autonomous vehicles market. There is still a lot of development to do, especially as there will be a mix of manual and autonomous vehicles on the road at the same time.

on BBC Click from CES today, they said that if all cars sold from today onwards were autonomous, it would take 20 years to replace the current manual vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY2015 XFR IRR / Black Pack/ Speed Pack / Dark Dracos / Warm Charcoal - Ivory/ Spires Exhaust/ lots of extras
    ​Previously MY2011 XFR Utimate Black/warm charcoal/B&W/rear camera/extras

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Barney
    Quote Originally Posted by MyIRRCat View Post
    I am working with several companies in the autonomous vehicles market. There is still a lot of development to do, especially as there will be a mix of manual and autonomous vehicles on the road at the same time.

on BBC Click from CES today, they said that if all cars sold from today onwards were autonomous, it would take 20 years to replace the current manual vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    any chance we would all have to drive on the right
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDF https://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

First name
    Ian
    It would help if some of the pirrocks could drive at all!
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR, D3ggy footrest, Interior LEDs, Red growler, plenty of polish
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyIRRCat View Post

Which isn't actually that long, I can look back over twice that time.

When I got my first mobile phone I was amazed I could make a call whilst driving in my car, now look at us.

Who thought 6 months ago that Trump would ever actually be President elect?! And yet we have people confidently telling us that even with the might of Google/Microsoft/Apple and hundreds more working on autonomous vehicles, they won't overcome the issues in a very short space of time. We already have driverless trains on the mainland. London Heathrow and the DLR to mention just two, within months we will have fully functioning driverless trains on the mainline I don't doubt and neither do the Unions. Just as much litigation involved with a driverless train as with a driverless tram, bus or car.

With pollution and global warming issues not going to go away the various Govts. will not baulk at legislating out the internal combustion engine should it serve to accelerate their need for an all EV network of vehicles.

Just the same as people said 'Cloning' and Genetic Engeneering were far fetched or unlikely, or even God forbid sending humans into outer space or putting man on the moon! Getting a car to drive itself will be child's play

First name
    Stefan
    I love driving, but I do think this is a great idea for the future, as long as on the weekend you can still go out in your own car for a nice blast. But as for the morning commute or coming home from the pub, the ability of not having to drive the journey would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First name
    Mark
    Eventually this may come to pass but not in our lifetime. The concept of no private car ownership is a One World Government's dream though. Yes the technology is already viable but the economics around such an endeavor are mind boggling. Anyone who thinks it would be less expensive than owning your own car needs to think again. Everything that is attached to private car ownership would still need to be covered....everything. Except now that everyone is capable of summoning a ride just think of the numbers of cars that would be required so who will pay for the manufacturing, insurance, upkeep, parking, road tax, etc. etc.? Everyone. And guess who'll determine what that cost will be? The technology will be the easy part. The social logistics will be the hard part and as Trump and Brexit have shown as a people we're about 50% agreeable. The hype surrounding autonomous and electric vehicles is mostly just that.....hype.

When the Insurance industry agrees and announces exactly how liabilities from an accident involving a driverless car will be sorted, then you will see them on the road. Until then, not IMHO.
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. When I wanted to order, a V6 engine and a Portfolio interior was mutually exclusive if you lived in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

Banned
    First name
    Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFS View Post
    Take into account the depreciation of my XFR (£500 per month minimum), my Finance (£495 per month), It's not far off peeps and the very 'model' that several businesses, it seems, are planning for in the very near future. It was actually quite a sobering thought when I sat mulling it all over with a Tangle Foot or three last night...
    You are right to cite all your vehicle costs, but you can't count depreciation, and finance payments, you are only losing one of them; if your car is on finance, its depreciation is not yet yours.

That Tanglefoot, however, is wonderful stuff; if it wasn't for Aldi supplying the food and sustenance, we'd all be reduced to driving Fords, or Renaults, or something equally disgusting.

First name
    Nick
    Which isn't actually that long, I can look back over twice that time.

When I got my first mobile phone I was amazed I could make a call whilst driving in my car, now look at us.

Who thought 6 months ago that Trump would ever actually be President elect?! And yet we have people confidently telling us that even with the might of Google/Microsoft/Apple and hundreds more working on autonomous vehicles, they won't overcome the issues in a very short space of time. We already have driverless trains on the mainland. London Heathrow and the DLR to mention just two, within months we will have fully functioning driverless trains on the mainline I don't doubt and neither do the Unions. Just as much litigation involved with a driverless train as with a driverless tram, bus or car.

With pollution and global warming issues not going to go away the various Govts. will not baulk at legislating out the internal combustion engine should it serve to accelerate their need for an all EV network of vehicles.

Just the same as people said 'Cloning' and Genetic Engeneering were far fetched or unlikely, or even God forbid sending humans into outer space or putting man on the moon! Getting a car to drive itself will be child's play
    Driverless trains, planes & trams still require any army of cctv operatives to function safely. The cost of that oversight is reasonable when you share it out amongst 100 passengers on a train. Apply it to a single occupancy autonomous vehicle & it's prohibitive.

What happens when a group of workers managing the autonomous infrastructure go on strike? The whole ferking country could come to a standstill.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by etypephil View Post
    You are right to cite all your vehicle costs, but you can't count depreciation, and finance payments, you are only losing one of them; if your car is on finance, its depreciation is not yet yours.
    Thank you for that Phil, I see exactly what you are saying and apologise to Syl if this is what they were trying to tell me. Would I be right in thinking though that come the final payment of HP or balloon payment of PCP the owner would then realise the disbenefit of both money paid out and depreciation?
    Last edited by ExFS; 8th January 2017 at 08:00.

First name
    Nick
    Thank you for that Phil, I see exactly what you are saying and apol GSZ to Syl if this is what they were trying to tell me. Would I be right in thinking though that come the final payment of HP or balloon payment of PCP the owner would then realise the disbenefit of both money paid out and depreciation?
    The largest part of your monthly payment is for depreciation. The remainder is finance & administration costs. That's why vehicles with a high retained value cost less to finance.

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Driverless trains, planes & trams still require any army of cctv operatives to function safely. The cost of that oversight is reasonable when you share it out amongst 100 passengers on a train. Apply it to a single occupancy autonomous vehicle & it's prohibitive.

What happens when a group of workers managing the autonomous infrastructure go on strike? The whole ferking country could come to a standstill.
    What, do you mean like the Southern Rail/Aslef/RMT strikes do in the whole one of the South East now?!

Just heard an announcement on the platform whilst heading in to work this morning that due to strike action there are no tubes on the London Underground today! Great!!!

Autonomous cars won't rely on being monitored by CCTV anymore than the road networks are now. They very technology in the car will see it operate entirely on its own, hence the name.

As for litigation or knocking over a pedestrian, I don't see this being the nightmare situation people might have us believe. These cars will have every recording function needed. CCTV, data from the vehicle and data from the surroundings. If someone runs out in front of a vehicle now, giving the driver no chance to avoid an accident there is no prosecution and no litigation. This would be even easier to show with a vehicle providing every detail of evidence/CCTV/data that could possibly be required.

In fairness to you Nick I can see why living near Donny and working in Halifax could make these ideas seem 30 years ahead of their time but in truth they are a lot more realistic than you think

First name
    Nick
    Thank you for that Phil, I see exactly what you are saying and apol GSZ to Syl if this is what they were trying to tell me. Would I be right in thinking though that come the final payment of HP or balloon payment of PCP the owner would then realise the disbenefit of both money paid out and depreciation?
    The largest part of your monthly payment is for depreciation. The remainder is finance & administration costs. That's why vehicles with a high retained value cost less to finance.

EG.

Amount financed: £35,000
    Retained value: £20,000
    Term: 36 months.
    APR: 5%

The monthly repayments would be around £530 made up of £415 depreciation & £115 finance charges.

(How close am I?)

Founder member
    But I will still have born the cost of the actual monthly payment (£495) and the vehicles depreciation (£18k over 36 months) when I pay the balloon payment or last instalment of HP, yes?

First name
    Jon
    If you HP a car for work purposes and use a car allowance to pay for it, then the interest you pay and the depreciation are a tax deductible cost. The capital component of the monthly payment is not.
    If you lease the car then the entire payment is deductible, but you get nothing for depreciation as the leasing company owns the car. When the lease is completed you walk away with nowt...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just when I think I'm over my insomnia the car behind me honks.

Founder member
    Driverless vehicles can't have a manual override because there's no way of knowing if the passenger is qualified or competent to drive the vehicle. Before control could be relinquished, there would have to be due diligence including a risk assessment.
    How about a one second thumb print scan when you first get in, just as when we unlock our iPhone, that provides all of our DVLA information.

First name
    Nick
    What, do you mean like the Southern Rail/Aslef/RMT strikes do in the whole one of the South East now?!

Just heard an announcement on the platform whilst heading in to work this morning that due to strike action there are no tubes on the London Underground today! Great!!!

Autonomous cars won't rely on being monitored by CCTV anymore than the road networks are now. They very technology in the car will see it operate entirely on its own, hence the name.

As for litigation or knocking over a pedestrian, I don't see this being the nightmare situation people might have us believe. These cars will have every recording function needed. CCTV, data from the vehicle and data from the surroundings. If someone runs out in front of a vehicle now, giving the driver no chance to avoid an accident there is no prosecution and no litigation. This would be even easier to show with a vehicle providing every detail of evidence/CCTV/data that could possibly be required.

In fairness to you Nick I can see why living near Donny and working in Halifax could make these ideas seem 30 years ahead of their time but in truth they are a lot more realistic than you think
    In 20 years time, if Donald Trump the 3rd decides to switch off the GPS, then the whole planet grinds to a halt......great!

Current technology is sufficient for autonomous vehicle to navigate extensively researched routes at very modest speeds. Getting them to go everywhere at much higher speeds is going to be a challenge - for instance, every GPS black hole will have to be overcome.

First name
    Nick
    How about a one second thumb print scan when you first get in, just as when we unlock our iPhone, that provides all of our DVLA information.
    + a breath test & swab for drugs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.