It's Motoring Jim...But not as we know it! - Page 2
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First name
    Nick
    Owners will soon start loading their own version of the software so it drives like something out of Grand Theft Auto.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Supplied by: Sturgess

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

Prodigious Member
    First name
    Glyn
    The pulling out in front of an autonomous vehicle. - if its done quite dangerously surely the onboard cameras will record what you have done and report the incident to the police - and every vehicle will become another set of eyes on the world - Human controlled cars transgressions will result in through the post fines.
    But what about those that enjoy a bit of ram raiding - wonder how you could instruct the car to do that - or when you felt like giving your partner one - "Car please find a lovers lane"
    There are bound to be a load of questions to answer to book a car - "Please state the nature of your journey" ---reply "Dogging"

If car journeys became something like sitting on a plane for X hours it would be crap - I would rather drive in difficult conditions, tedious or slow moving traffic, rain, snow or fog rather than let the car drive itself.
    I accept that autonomous vehicles would be safer but I quite like reminding people they are w***ers, old dicks, fat bstards, fking wimin, thick fkers, rsoles and gits - that's the pleasure of driving - I'm always right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    The point is that you wouldn't normally do anything to cause another driver to brake hard, but you could do that to an autonomous vehicle without any consequences.
    I don't think so, the autonomous cars would be utilising the onboard tech and capturing the behaviour and manner of driving of other vehicles. As I said earlier if someone wants to play silly beggars what is to stop that evidence being simultaneously relayed to a 'centre' for review and subsequent summons to follow for Dangerous or Careless driving, just as with Bus Lane, ATS & Yellow Box Junction offences now.

Just as many OBC's will already call the Emergency Services should the car be involved in an accident or as Dave found out his BMW was automatically booked in for a service at his local dealer by the OBC when it detected he had an otherwise un noticed mechanical issue that needed looking at. In serious cases I would see the police being called to intercept any driver engaging in such behaviour there and then, with the relevant footage/VRM instantly relayed to the vehicle responding.

I would suggest that with the automatic gathering of the evidence and other drivers being aware of the quality of this evidence and that without exception, every autonomous car would be recording it no matter what, then it most certainly would not be 'without consequences' and how many people are going to be queueing up to rack up points/lose their licence or go to prison in the circumstances you describe?
    Jaguar XFR 2014MY - Italian Racing Red with Ivory/Charcoal/Dark Oak Interior, Nevis Alloys, Parking Pack and Heated Steering Wheel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Martin
    Anyone for a 'Johnny cab'
    I wonder what all the stupid people will do for a job when they can't drive taxis anymore
    In all honesty though, that's a hell of lot of workers out of job if you include, taxis, couriers and eventually buses and lorries.

IMG_2527.jpg
    M3 Competition Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Barney100golf View Post
    All cars talking to them selves, so they will be open to hackers as it seems even is the fridge???
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Owners will soon start loading their own version of the software so it drives like something out of Grand Theft Auto.
    Chaps, in fairness I did say when they have the Autonomous vehicle cracked, therefore both of the above would have been nullified and as such not an issue. There are enough brains working on this for it to become a reality in no time at all, and enough people are taking notice to start planning business continuity and future proofing for the very scenario I am talking about. I honestly don't think it is as far fetched as some of you wags make out!
    Jaguar XFR 2014MY - Italian Racing Red with Ivory/Charcoal/Dark Oak Interior, Nevis Alloys, Parking Pack and Heated Steering Wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Anyone for a 'Johnny cab'
    I wonder what all the stupid people will do for a job when they can't drive taxis anymore
    In all honesty though, that's a hell of lot of workers out of job if you include, taxis, couriers and eventually buses and lorries.
    Precisely my point Lofty. I won't give away any personal or commercially sensitive details however for a Large International Company some of whose business is Insurance (Some of which is for Motor Vehicles) to be shaping its MV business model towards large scale contracts with fleet providers (of autonomous vehicles) and accepting that personal cover will become a thing of the past is not to be taken lightly.

Together with the fact that Amazon/Tesco drones will soon be delivering to our door as well does make me stop and think how dramatic a change we could see.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney100golf View Post
    HA HA the road blocked with rebooting cars and autonomous breakdown sevices, I am still worried how to get it to stop when you are bursting for a pee
    Simples you press the 'wee' button
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

First name
    Barney
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Simples you press the 'wee' button
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDF https://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

Aren't you double counting with depreciation and finance?
    MY15 XF Sportbrake Portfolio S

Quote Originally Posted by Syl View Post
    Aren't you double counting with depreciation and finance?
    Don't think so but I'm happy to be shown otherwise, I pay about £500 per month out of my bank account for a car that's worth about £500 less each month so there's a real world cost to me of £1000 per month without even looking at fuel, insurance, general maintenance and servicing. Would welcome others thoughts though?

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFS View Post
    Chaps, in fairness I did say when they have the Autonomous vehicle cracked, therefore both of the above would have been nullified and as such not an issue. There are enough brains working on this for it to become a reality in no time at all, and enough people are taking notice to start planning business continuity and future proofing for the very scenario I am talking about. I honestly don't think it is as far fetched as some of you wags make out!
    I can't see anyway autonomous vehicles can interact with driven vehicles on a large scale in the UK. It'd be like having the roads full of learner drivers.

At times the human brain doesn't have enough processing power to prevent thing going wrong. A computer, a few sensors & GPS is vastly inferior to the human brain......well most of them anyway.

I can think of several roundabouts near me that an autonomous vehicle would struggle to negotiate without stopping several times.

I can see small scale local projects going ahead in my lifetime. This will probably involve the building of autonomous vehicle only lanes to avoid chaotic junctions & roundabouts. Of course these will be about as popular as bus lanes.

I'm waiting for the first cyclist to be killed by a robotic car.......that'll put the whole scheme back 20 years!
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack

First name
    Jim
    Good point Nick, in the event of an accident with these driverless cars, who is accountable.
    2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio ​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Good point Nick, in the event of an accident with these driverless cars, who is accountable.
    The Lawyers must be rubbing their hands.

I suppose ultimately it's the software developer that's taking over the driver's role in deciding what the vehicle does in each situation.

First name
    Jim
    Probably right. It's an absolute mine field of litigation waiting to happen.
    2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio ​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

First name
    Martin
    I wonder how they are programmed to deal with a child running into the road? Do they just apply the brakes or can they swerve to avoid even if that meant hitting an oncoming car or hitting a wall. The **** will really hit the fan once one of these cars kills a pedestrian.
    M3 Competition Pack

First name
    Jim
    God forbid a kid gets killed by one these things.

First name
    Mark
    So which bunch of petrol heads will take a Class action against a government that try's to enforce automonous vehicles.

Furthermore when they are in place. Computer fail so where the manual override.
    2014 XF Sportbrake 3.0 S Portfolio in Italian Racing Red with Black Pack and Redzone interior on 20 inch boots

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiFox View Post
    So which bunch of petrol heads will take a Class action against a government that try's to enforce automonous vehicles.

Furthermore when they are in place. Computer fail so where the manual override.
    Driverless vehicles can't have a manual override because there's no way of knowing if the passenger is qualified or competent to drive the vehicle. Before control could be relinquished, there would have to be due diligence including a risk assessment.

First name
    Mark
    Wondered if anyone would spot that. So all driverless car passengers will need a licence to show they can take over driving if required.
    Now assuming the principle that driverless cars are safer will motorway speeds be higher as no fuel being wasted and the cars are in control.
    If anything goes wrong I hope the risk assessment is damn quick as the 44 tonne truck driving straight at me gets bigger rapidly.
    2014 XF Sportbrake 3.0 S Portfolio in Italian Racing Red with Black Pack and Redzone interior on 20 inch boots

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiFox View Post
    Wondered if anyone would spot that. So all driverless car passengers will need a licence to show they can take over driving if required.
    Now assuming the principle that driverless cars are safer will motorway speeds be higher as no fuel being wasted and the cars are in control.
    If anything goes wrong I hope the risk assessment is damn quick as the 44 tonne truck driving straight at me gets bigger rapidly.
    Authority to take control of the car shouldn't take longer than a couple of months.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.