It's Motoring Jim...But not as we know it!
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Founder member

It's Motoring Jim...But not as we know it!

It is all likely to change beyond recognition very soon...

Had a very interesting conversation with Mrs ExFS last night once she had returned home from a meeting in Paris with the Companies Top Brass.

The current focus is very much planning for and working on the principle that in the near future 'autonomous' vehicles will have been cracked. Then EV or other renewable energy sources will take over as the Government legislate towards this and manufacturers see all new vehicle registrations being restricted to this type only.

It is then only a matter of time before we don't actually own our own vehicles anymore, as you will just order one (like we do an Uber now), it will appear outside your door in 2, 5 or 10 minutes, whatever you have specified. Only it will be autonomous with a computer driving it & not a person (therefore significantly cheaper than your standard private hire vehicle is now). You will get in (No more worries about the stranger in the driver seat bringing your daughter home from the late night party) and away you go

Take into account the depreciation of my XFR (£500 per month minimum), my Finance (£495 per month), Fuel, Insurance, Running costs and Maintenance you could be talking £1500-£1750 per month easily. Times that by two to include the wife's RRS and £3k to £3.5k suddenly covers a lot of chauffeured rides to and from where you might need to go every month. No more worry from 'to blame' accidents or prosecutions for Dangerous/Careless driving. No more worry as to how your son or daughter are driving whilst out with their mates. No more £5k bill when your engine blows up out of warranty or some uninsured tw4t drives into you and fails to stop. No more worries over who's drinking and who's not, so they can drive home...

It's not far off peeps and the very 'model' that several businesses, it seems, are planning for in the very near future. It was actually quite a sobering thought when I sat mulling it all over with a Tangle Foot or three last night...
    Last edited by ExFS; 7th January 2017 at 13:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Jay
    Sounds like the perfect world for someone who has zero interest in cars.

I still enjoy driving however and take a pride in something I can call my own.

Very interesting none the less.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    2012 XF S PL. Ultimate Black with Ivory leather, 20" Hydras. 1200 watt B&W audio, Deggy footrest.

Weird. I replied to this thread, and saw the reply, now it has disappeared. Maybe I am on my own "ignore" list?
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. When I wanted to order, a V6 engine and a Portfolio interior was mutually exclusive if you lived in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Barney
    Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Weird. I replied to this thread, and saw the reply, now it has disappeared. Maybe I am on my own "ignore" list?
    Hmm, maybe, as to 'autonomous' cars how can you just go for a drive? you would have to plan a journey each time so lose half the fun of discovery by chance great for taxi replacement or for those that are too old but not for just having fun driving
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDF https://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

What I originally posted that it would be a major loss of personal liberty.
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. When I wanted to order, a V6 engine and a Portfolio interior was mutually exclusive if you lived in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayF View Post
    Sounds like the perfect world for someone who has zero interest in cars.

I still enjoy driving however and take a pride in something I can call my own.

Very interesting none the less.
    I may have an X100 or two just to tinker with and take out on a sunny day, or the Caterham to take to the track for a blast but I think they would very much satisfy my 'ownership' needs and leave the dull mundane day to day stuff to a nice comfy autonomous vehicle, being driven from A to B whilst working/sleeping. I certainly wouldn't miss a crappy 6 hour drive up to the Lake District in the pouring rain with the wife and daughter asleep most of the way and youngest son on his iPad/PS Vita/headphones in the back. I'd quite like to chill as well and perhaps watch some live footy with a couple of beers on the way up, then a bit of a snooze.

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney100golf View Post
    Hmm, maybe, as to 'autonomous' cars how can you just go for a drive? you would have to plan a journey each time so lose half the fun of discovery by chance great for taxi replacement or for those that are too old but not for just having fun driving
    I perhaps just 'go for a drive' when I've bought a new car, after that I don't think I do. I wonder how many people actually just go for a drive more than once in a blue moon. For those that way inclined there's always the old theoretical 'Classic' in the garage to satisfy this need as and when.

First name
    Nick
    I wonder how long it would be before motorists started taking liberties with autonomous vehicles? You could pull out in front of them, cut them up, play chicken on an overtake & push them out of a lane without any fear of a rebuke - well maybe from the poor bast**d in the back who's now covered in a latté.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

First name
    Barney
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    I wonder how long it would be before motorists started taking liberties with autonomous vehicles? You could pull out in front of them, cut them up, play chicken on an overtake & push them out of a lane without any fear of a rebuke - well maybe from the poor bast**d in the back who's now covered in a latté.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDF https://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

D'ya know? whilst I was reading this thread was thinking exactly the same thing!
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

First name
    Barney
    Question how many people here do not like being driven by someone else, I don't I am sure it will be okay when I am, but there is always a fear has the person driving seen this or that, and being driven by a machine with no steering wheel or brakes etc, to me would not be comfortable, no matter how many people say you will be fine, and how would you tell the car you need to stop for a wee??

Founder member
    Even if ownership were still an option some 3 car families could get by on 2 or maybe even just 1.

For instance Jo Bloggs leaves home to go to the station at 04:30 the car returns home to take Mrs Bloggs to the station at 06:00, then returns home to take the kids to school at 07:45 and then the eldest daughter to work at 09:00. Charges it's battery for an hour or two before picking the kids up from school, taking them home, then doing the same for each other family member in turn until the day is done.

What family needs or wants to pay for 2, 3 or 4 different vehicles sat all day doing nothing when one could do the lot...most of the time.

Founder member
    You may quaff Nick but this is more advanced than many of us would imagine. When the 'brain' of the autonomous vehicle is smart enough these incidents you suggest wouldn't feature. Each vehicle would have 360 video as part of the processing anyway so if you wanted to play silly beggars by pulling out infront of one and deliberately and directly instigate a collision then I dare say you'd probably only ever be able to do it the once.

It's all more relevant in ten years time or by the time 80% to 90% (plus) of the vehicles on the road are of the newer generation with some form of autonomy and are all talking to each other and working together to improve traffic flow and drive safely in tandem with everything else on the road.

Those annoying red lights you sit at when nothing else is on the road at 5 or 6am would change as you approach and then change again should a vehicle approach from another direction. The benefit to traffic flow and journey times could be significant.

First name
    Jim
    All this technology is all well and good but these cars cars will be filled with cameras, radar and sensors. God knows, we have enough trouble now but what are these new cars going to do if something goes wrong, what will it default to if it detects an onboard problem.
    2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio ​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFS View Post
    You may quaff Nick but this is more advanced than many of us would imagine. When the 'brain' of the autonomous vehicle is smart enough these incidents you suggest wouldn't feature. Each vehicle would have 360 video as part of the processing anyway so if you wanted to play silly beggars by pulling out infront of one and deliberately and directly instigate a collision then I dare say you'd probably only ever be able to do it the once.
    The point is that you wouldn't normally do anything to cause another driver to brake hard, but you could do that to an autonomous vehicle without any consequences.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

First name
    Barney
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    All this technology is all well and good but these cars cars will be filled with cameras, radar and sensors. God knows, we have enough trouble now but what are these new cars going to do if something goes wrong, what will it default to if it detects an onboard problem.
    HA HA the road blocked with rebooting cars and autonomous breakdown sevices, I am still worried how to get it to stop when you are bursting for a pee

I can think of many junctions where traffic flow is only facilitated either by "flooring it and taking a chance" or by "waving the other chap through". I can see those getting utterly blocked by autonomous cars that will do neither.

Old lives matter!

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney100golf View Post
    HA HA the road blocked with rebooting cars and autonomous breakdown sevices, I am still worried how to get it to stop when you are bursting for a pee
    As with your Amazon Echo or Siri. You just say what you want and the car will do the rest. Probably finding the nearest convenience and telling you how long until you arrive. In all seriousness it will probably be able to monitor occupants behaviour and detect when someone is busting for a pee and suggest a suitable toilet stop long before you are ready to wet yourself

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    I can think of many junctions where traffic flow is only facilitated either by "flooring it and taking a chance" or by "waving the other chap through". I can see those getting utterly blocked by autonomous cars that will do neither.

My point is wilf, that when all the cars are talking to each other these situations will not arise.

First name
    Barney
    All cars talking to them selves, so they will be open to hackers as it seems even is the fridge???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.