Router advice.
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router advice.

First name
    Nick

Router advice.

I'm having a mare with the BTHub6 & need recommendations for something with similar or better performance - preferably on Amazon prime?
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Supplied by: Sturgess

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

When I was having problems with the talktalk router, other helpful bods on here were recommending a Billion router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...billion+router

This from Billion's website - I'm sure the top end are probably £300+!

http://www.billion.com/Communication...%20AP%20Series
    Last edited by Rigger; 6th January 2017 at 10:58.
    2010MY XF-S Portfolio, Ultimate Black, Aero Pack, Dynamic Pack, Reverse Cam, B+W 440, TPMS and Volans

I use one of these mate...

I've upgraded it to 56k and it works a treat

IMG_1093.jpg
    Jaguar XFR 2014MY - Italian Racing Red with Ivory/Charcoal/Dark Oak Interior, Nevis Alloys, Parking Pack and Heated Steering Wheel.

First name
    Chris
    We have the BTHub6 and so far it's been pretty good which was a huge surprise to me. I was looking at replacing it with something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MPI5N...TVZKC4AG&psc=1 but at the moment I'm happy.

What issues are you having as it may be environmental rather than device based?
    MY15 XF R-Sport Sportbrake 3.0 IRR / Black Pack / Winter / Parking / Mirror / Keyless Entry / Adaptive Dynamics / Dark Dracos Mods - Carbon Veneer / Carbon Mirrors / XFR-S Carbon Diffuser / Spires Quad Exhausts / Customised Steering Wheel

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSB View Post
    We have the BTHub6 and so far it's been pretty good which was a huge surprise to me. I was looking at replacing it with something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MPI5N...TVZKC4AG&psc=1 but at the moment I'm happy.

What issues are you having as it may be environmental rather than device based?
    I've managed to 'brick' 3 of them in a month. They work great for days or weeks then die.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack

First name
    Chris
    That isn't good at all. So far we've had ours for 2 weeks.
    MY15 XF R-Sport Sportbrake 3.0 IRR / Black Pack / Winter / Parking / Mirror / Keyless Entry / Adaptive Dynamics / Dark Dracos Mods - Carbon Veneer / Carbon Mirrors / XFR-S Carbon Diffuser / Spires Quad Exhausts / Customised Steering Wheel

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFS View Post
    I use one of these mate...

I've upgraded it to 56k and it works a treat

IMG_1093.jpg
    At the moment, I can only dream of that sort of connectivity.

If anyone want's to build a wall with dead Hub6's, I've got enough for the foundations!

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSB View Post
    That isn't good at all. So far we've had ours for 2 weeks.
    The first lasted 12 weeks, the second one went after a couple of weeks & the third one died yesterday after 8 days.

I trust you have a back up?

First name
    Andy
    I'm using a BT HH5 and they want me to renew my contract next month. I was going to ask for a new HH6, if they do supply one I'll keep my 5 as a backup then. I've had no issues with the HH5.
    2013 XF S Portfolio in Indigo Blue, warm charcoal interior, piano black veneer, Hydra wheels now changed to Volans, DAB, parking pack and BSM.

First name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    The first lasted 12 weeks, the second one went a couple of weeks & the third one died yesterday after 8 days.

I trust you have a back up?
    Yes I have an old Linksys router. My requirement is slightly different as we have fibre to the premises with an Openreach modem. The HH6 connects to that via Ethernet. So any new router I buy needs an Ethernet WAN connection.

Once I get the house cabled I will be getting the Ubiquity EdgeRouter and a couple of their access points.

Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter Lite, 3-port Router, ERLITE-3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EWYPA..._tE4BybB3FA0F9

UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m - (Enterprise Computing > Routers) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016XYQ3..._4D4BybWJBHNZN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    How did you manage to brick the Asus?
    I wanted to search for something TP-Link for lower costs or some Asus. But now I don't know what to recommend after your talent to brick Asus.

First name
    James
    I'm on adsl, and bought a billion router as it is one of a few where you can tinker with the s/n ratio to increase my connection speed.

First name
    Phil
    Hi Nick, I have been using the Asus DSL-AC68U Dual band, it has performed faultlessly and it is quick, the dual band comes in handyas well. Phil
    Sent from my computer/smartphone using tappity hunt and peck.
    2008 2.7D Luxury, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, Jaguar Voice, Keyless Entry, ECU Re-Mapped.

First name
    Dave
    I have the ASUS RT-AC87U and it works perfectly fine
    MY14 XJ Portfolio, Polaris White / Jet interior, Chrome Pedals, D3ggy Footrest so far

First name
    Nick
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm busy on Amazon & some router comparison sites to asses all the pros & cons of the various models.

Typically, the BTHub6 does very well......

Rampant Member
    First name
    Paul
    I know some people are anti apple but I have had 2 airport extremes ac and an old pre-n running for 3 years without having to touch them... 40+ wireless devices on them and am running my smart home from them with just a 42 port switch in addition... get 4k amazon prime to my TV on wifi and wired (use wired now as it slows down everything else). I have a BT open reach modem but you can get a http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130 for VDSL (bt infinity) or put your current router into bridge mode.
    Supersport! ;D D ;DDD DDDDD

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmitz View Post
    I know some people are anti apple but I have had 2 airport extremes ac and an old pre-n running for 3 years without having to touch them... 40+ wireless devices on them and am running my smart home from them with just a 42 port switch in addition... get 4k amazon prime to my TV on wifi and wired (use wired now as it slows down everything else). I have a BT open reach modem but you can get a http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130 for VDSL (bt infinity) or put your current router into bridge mode.
    Interesting.

So, the airport extreme is wired to the Draytec cable modem, then the switch is plugged into the airport?

You say you have 2 airport extremes, does that mean 2 wireless networks?

Rampant Member
    First name
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Interesting.

So, the airport extreme is wired to the Draytec cable modem, then the switch is plugged into the airport?

You say you have 2 airport extremes, does that mean 2 wireless networks?
    yep exactly that...

You can configure the two wireless networks to have the same SSID (one big network) or not up to you really... I have an upstairs and a downstairs one... one airport is hardwired into the other.

Rampant Member
    First name
    Paul
    make sure they will hand out the userid and password first though because without it it is useless...

I've got at tplink vr200. Overall happy with it, much better now I have fibre. Signal strength on certain device can be poor (read Apple devices) but that's their problem.
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.