X250-X260 my thoughts
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

X250-X260 my thoughts

So I've had my X260 for a couple of weeks now so thought I'd post my comments on a comparison with my gone X250

First off good points;

The ride quality seems a lot more forgiving. (Still on 19" rims)
    The chassis is a great improvement coupled with the more supportive seats it feels like it corners flat.
    The turn in is much much better though this could be down to newer rubber
    The infotainment is much better

The 2.0D engine is a peach - nowhere near the smoothness of a V6 but how could it be? I thought I'd miss 60BHP but TBH I don't. The take off from start is impressive. It feels like it's got loads of torque and coupled with the 8speed its well suited. I often felt the 6 speed held on to the gears for too long, so much so, I found myself using the paddles to change up sometimes!
    You can only really notice it's a 4 pot when slowing to < 10mph or sitting idle, but most of the time it's off from start/stop so it's the smoothest engine in the world!
    When giving it some beans, yes you can hear it but it doesn't sound horrendous, just working.

The remote control app that allows you to check if the car is locked, alarmed, check fuel level, mileage, recent journeys, mpg, remote start to set climate is brilliant.
    Rear view is much improved - mainly due to the relocation of the high level brake light- meaning there is no bump on the rear shelf
    Speed sign recognition is cool and works pretty well.
    Heats up quick
    Stop/Start works well with one battery.
    Like the TPS where it not only shows the proper pressure, but the current
    Like the info display which is configurable I got it currently showing ave mpg, ave speed, miles to empty etc
    love the heated steering wheel
    Boys love the rear heated seats
    Like the privacy glass
    Loving the mpg
    Charging/jump start points now under bonnet ala XJ/XE
    Like the dash change from white to red when in dynamic mode - nice touch.
    Satnav seems good with 3D mode, haven't used it anger yet though.
    voice control seems ok, seemed to understand me ok.
    Boot is slightly bigger with no cross member bar to overcome. Includes shopping hooks.

Bad points;
    The interior mirror is either bigger or lower down due to the forward facing camera (or both) means I feel like I can't see out of the passengers side properly.

The single wipe of the windscreen requires moving the stalk from auto, to off, to wipe, so if you want a single wipe without washing you have to move the stalk down two positions then back up two again. I liked my old pull to wipe function

Bog standard audio, is ok but need more bass - I've a plan for that.

Sills are quite wide, meaning you seem like you have to step into the car rather than getting into it.

The rear camera either doesn't have the low lux capability of the x250 or it's a lower resolution

Things I miss
    No mirror reverse dip
    No keyless entry
    No fold down rear seat. Didn't use it that often, but came in handy a couple of times. Will need to investigate if this can be modded.
    No memory seats/mirrors/steering wheel, but I do have folding/electrochromatic. Partial electric seats. Manual steering wheel adjustment.

As you can see not many negative points, some things I miss but will get over it. If I had to analyse the time I adjusted the seats/mirrors/steering wheel I could forgive not having them now...
    Last edited by Gav; 4th January 2017 at 14:59.
    Aurora Red MY2017 R-Sport 180

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    Good to see more positives than negatives, though they could all be sorted with a few further ticks in the options list had you bought new.

You also make a comment on the seats being more supportive, what seats did you have in the last car?

First name
    Nick
    I'm pleased to read that the V6 to 4 pot 'gamble' has worked out for you.

I know what you mean about "the take off from start". The ingenium does that rather well.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ancill View Post
    Good to see more positives than negatives, though they could all be sorted with a few further ticks in the options list had you bought new.

You also make a comment on the seats being more supportive, what seats did you have in the last car?
    Dave it was a PL so what ever that was , non sport I guess. They were quite flat with smallish bolsters and I felt I slid on them.
    Realistically where the PL sat in the middle of the range , now that's the slot for the r-sport, if you want like for like you need to spec the portfolio now

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    I'm pleased to read that the V6 to 4 pot 'gamble' has worked out for you.

I know what you mean about "the take off from start". The ingenium does that rather well.
    Yeah, the 4 pot probably takes/will take a bashing on here, but it's no 3.0 V6 so not comparing same apples, as a standalone 2.0d 4 pot I think it's great.

First name
    Lawrence
    I haven't been in a 2.0 XF so would be interesting to see/hear it.

A few years ago I had an E220 which I traded in fairly quickly as it really was a pretty noisy and agricultural engine which effectively ruined the refinement of the car. From what i understand, the Jag 4 pots are much better.
    2014 3.0D - Saloon - Portfolio - Rhodium Silver / Charcoal / Burr Walnut

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new XF all the more Gav - as Dave points out - more + and less - will always be a good thing.
    2010MY XF-S Portfolio, Ultimate Black, Aero Pack, Dynamic Pack, Reverse Cam, B+W 440, TPMS and Volans

First name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Dave it was a PL so what ever that was , non sport I guess. They were quite flat with smallish bolsters and I felt I slid on them.
    Realistically where the PL sat in the middle of the range , now that's the slot for the r-sport, if you want like for like you need to spec the portfolio now
    I changed my first XFS after 7 months because of the slippery seat problem. The bond grain leather was probably worse than the soft grain in your PL.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack

Nice write up Gav, and some good observations.
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. When I wanted to order, a V6 engine and a Portfolio interior was mutually exclusive if you lived in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    Ok, that makes sense, all my XF's had the sports seats, I was disappointed with the new so called sports seats in the new 3.0S in comparison

First name
    Nick
    Ok, that makes sense, all my XF's had the sports seats, I was disappointed with the new so called sports seats in the new 3.0S in comparison
    The seats in the one I borrowed recently were comfy enough with more than adequate levels of lateral support.

The driving experience seemed a lot more 'remote' than the X250.......that could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

The AJD-V6 is probably the sweetest smoothest diesel out there so a 4 pot is never going to be on the same page.

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    The seats in the one I borrowed recently were comfy enough with more than adequate levels of lateral support.

The driving experience seemed a lot more 'remote' than the X250.......that could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

The AJD-V6 is probably the sweetest smoothest diesel out there so a 4 pot is never going to be on the same page.
    Comfortable, yes as is adequate lateral support, but nowhere near as good as the X250 sports seats, hopefully the release of the XFR will correct this as was in the X250 range

First name
    Rick
    I'd be be interested to know what your thoughts are for handling/feel/weight of the X260 Gav?

With the XE being smaller, and alu chassis, it is so light in comparison to the 'tank' Pocket Rocket........I expect brake(pads) to last sooooo much longer
    PR2 - Bluefire XE R-Sport 240: Panoramic sunroof, Meridian audio, Keyless entry, rear electric sunblind..........
    Previously in a 2.2 Sport LE, Kyanite Blue 'Pocket Rocket' XF facelift

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by R17 View Post
    I'd be be interested to know what your thoughts are for handling/feel/weight of the X260 Gav?

With the XE being smaller, and alu chassis, it is so light in comparison to the 'tank' Pocket Rocket........I expect brake(pads) to last sooooo much longer
    The XE is smaller Rick so weight should be less, but still it's fairly hefty on the scales as is X260 (in comparison to other brands in the same class)

The F-Type with its Aluminium Chassis is not known for its lightness either lol

Founder member
    I changed my first XFS after 7 months because of the slippery seat problem. The bond grain leather was probably worse than the soft grain in your PL.
    Going back to the early days (2009) on XFF when the Sports Seats were first introduced I remember some people confirming they actually used to slide completely off a standard seat when going round a corner and it was only holding onto the steering wheel that actually kept them in the car!

First name
    Rick
    The XE is smaller Rick so weight should be less, but still it's fairly hefty on the scales as is X260 (in comparison to other brands in the same class)

The F-Type with its Aluminium Chassis is not known for its lightness either lol
    Yeah, I'm not comparing to other 'in-class'.......just that at nearly 2ton the original PR felt it, whereas PR2 is balsa 'feel' in comparison
    PR2 - Bluefire XE R-Sport 240: Panoramic sunroof, Meridian audio, Keyless entry, rear electric sunblind..........

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    Yeah, I'm not comparing to other 'in-class'.......just that at nearly 2ton the original PR felt it, whereas PR2 is balsa 'feel' in comparison
    It's a good job the car weighs less than the bigger XF, especially with all the juicy torque you had to forfeit

Handling is much improved Rick IMHO (in my time in the car, but I've not thrown it around as the current road conditions dictate), the car feels lighter which it is , but a lot of this could be influenced by the EPAS

Founder member
    First name
    Dave
    Handling is much improved Rick IMHO (in my time in the car, but I've not thrown it around as the current road conditions dictate), the car feels lighter which it is , but a lot of this could be influenced by the EPAS
    And of course the reduced weight over the front wheels by going to a 4 pot

First name
    Rick
    It's a good job the car weighs less than the bigger XF, especially with all the juicy torque you had to forfeit
    C'mon, you kept saying '4 cylinders short of the ideal' - 'sniff sniff'.........ahhhhhhh sweet smell of PETROL

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.