BHP and Torque
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BHP and Torque

Very Active Member

BHP and Torque

How much do you think it's the limit for normal driving on usual roads, the almost 2 tons, rear wheel propulsion car like the X250 XF?
    For me, the initial 211 BHP (450 NM) was more than peaceful and relaxing. It was like a Mercedes but fun to drive.
    Then, with the powerbox and the estimated real 240 BHP (500NM), the car was even better but still relaxing most of time.
    Now with the chip tuning quoted for 290 BHP and 610NM, the car is very very fun to drive but not relaxing anymore, at least for winter temperatures and humidity. I'm finding myself paying lots of attention when overtaking and even straight ahead acceleration or stopping. Even at junctions when I need to let other cars to pass, a very small accelerator touch moves the car away than before when it was starting to start rolling the wheels.

My conclusion is that the almost 300 BHP (600+NM) is the limit for this car for usual usage. I don't know for a circuit but almost 2 tons don't look good for circuit either. Don't know how it's the XFS, if it's a big difference compared with my car now (I don't think so) but I'm hoping to get some answers from XFS owners and also from tuned or XFR owners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    John
    For me, that power and torque is there IF I want it. Otherwise I can drive as gently as I need to. And if I really want to relax, just push the "winter mode" button. That takes things down a notch.
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

Very Active Member
    I was thinking to start using the winter mode even if there is no snow. I hope the cat will be less nervous when I press my leg on her tail.

First name
    Lawrence
    I think it is summed up admirably by a member on another forum to which I also subscribe:

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower
    2014 3.0D - Saloon - Portfolio - Rhodium Silver / Charcoal / Burr Walnut

First name
    Nick
    The XFS is a pretty competent track car - it corners flat & resists understeer well. The weight does take it's toll on the brakes & tyres though.
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Supplied by: Sturgess

First name
    Dave
    Personally, I find the driving just as relaxing.
    Changing the driving modes just varies the amount you have to vary your foot pressure (driving skill?).
    A 300BHP car and a 100BHP car will still do 100MPH, just one will get there quicker.
    I feel safer and more relaxed with the extra power to "get out of" precarious situations, which are more and more frequent on the crowded motorways in South UK.
    My old company car BMW 116d felt very unnerving, knowing that pressing the throttle did very little.
    2012 PL 3.0D Black

First name
    Kim
    Going from a stock XFS to a tuned XFS to a stock XFR then a tuned XFR, all I can say is the more power the better!
    I don't know why but I for one crave instant "shove in the back" with just a twitch of the right ankle.
    Which is why I never used winter mode at all and used Dynamic mode 95% of the time (well, as long as SWMBO wasn't in the passenger seat!).
    But as others have said, even in a tuned XFR in Dynamic all it takes is throttle modulation to drive smoothly and calmly with no "moments".
    And nothing beats the ability to safely blast past a slow poke with just a prod of the right foot.
    2014 F-Type S coupe in Lunar Grey with Red Zone interior and almost all the options. For sale - 2010 Jaguar XFR, Kyanite/Ivory/Black Pack/Dark Oak, Coventry Whitley wheels, H-pipe, XFR-S tune.

Remember the XFR has a LSD and better chassis (thicker roll bars and firmer springs etc) to handle the power - everything isn't equal.

My XFR has a pulley and tune - and winter tyres! I can't say that I'm driving aggressively in the current conditions though - it will wheel spin at 60mph in 4th gear on the frosty roads - not worth the hassle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hulubei View Post
    I was thinking to start using the winter mode even if there is no snow. I hope the cat will be less nervous when I press my leg on her tail.
    The manual suggests using winter mode on wet roads - not only snow covered roads.
    2010MY XF-S Portfolio, Ultimate Black, Aero Pack, Dynamic Pack, Reverse Cam, B+W 440, TPMS and Volans

The XFR doesn't have an LSD. It has an electronic diff. Most have said its bloody dangerous sometimes too, allowing you to get right to the limits of grip then suddenly letting go. The fixed diff is less dangerous but ends up where you can't get the power down sometimes.

I've got 420 in the SV8 and in the lower gears it's unmanageable if you're a plonk, but 4th gear upwards and it's a fantastic feeling. The problem is with the XF it's never going to be great in the corners. Yes they've done a good job with the size of it, but it's still a big heavy cruiser.

If you're struggling with grip then the first place to look at is the tyres. It should not wheel spin in fourth if you've got the correct tyres on for the conditions.

First name
    Mick
    It's hard to comment on your car without knowing exactly what your maps have done, but the XFS and XFR can both easily be driven in a relaxed and smooth way. Maybe one of your maps has changed the throttle response too much?

Sounds like the throttle response has been altered with the map

I've never had a car or bike with too much power but simply drive accordingly

I used to be able to drive my 490BHP/500lbs ft, sub-1000Kg Cobra in the wet..........................that needed a very delicate right foot.

And it didn't have a single electronic "driver aid".................
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. A V6 engine and a Portfolio interior are now mutually exclusive if you live in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

Very Active Member
    I was thinking that the throttle response might have been also altered too. My concerns appeared after I saw a couple of times at 100 Km/h the DSC light blinking while firmly accelerating (but not total press of pedal). Anyway, first time it happened it was like 8C outside but clear and second time, -2C and a little bit wet (still no ice on road).
    I hope the summer will give me more confidence in it or I'm just a pussy that's afraid it can't handle the big cat.

The funniest car to drive and feel regarding stability and cornering for me to date was a a BMW 318D MY 2006. But probably 122 BHP was a very small amount, going to 200 BHP would be the same as the XF with 300.

BHP and Torque

I'm in winter mode at the moment with winter tyres.
    The temp increased the other day and didn't look icy, so took it off, but a quick exit out of a junction had some spin and the lights on.
    The winter mode still allowed for good acceleration in the same situation without the spin and less thinking about pedal position

Very Active Member
    I will try it out today. I'm also looking for online manual to read once about it while at the office.

First name
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by OzXFR View Post
    Going from a stock XFS to a tuned XFS to a stock XFR then a tuned XFR, all I can say is the more power the better!
    I don't know why but I for one crave instant "shove in the back" with just a twitch of the right ankle.
    Which is why I never used winter mode at all and used Dynamic mode 95% of the time (well, as long as SWMBO wasn't in the passenger seat!).
    But as others have said, even in a tuned XFR in Dynamic all it takes is throttle modulation to drive smoothly and calmly with no "moments".
    And nothing beats the ability to safely blast past a slow poke with just a prod of the right foot.
    Try using all that power on winter roads in the UK lol

First name
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
    Remember the XFR has a LSD and better chassis (thicker roll bars and firmer springs etc) to handle the power - everything isn't equal.

My XFR has a pulley and tune - and winter tyres! I can't say that I'm driving aggressively in the current conditions though - it will wheel spin at 60mph in 4th gear on the frosty roads - not worth the hassle!

The XFR has an active diff, which in my experience in poor road conditions, makes it more of a handful.

On a flat car park, you cannot floor the throttle and maintain a straight line, the active diff promotes fishtailing until it spins

First name
    Neill
    Quote Originally Posted by hulubei View Post

My conclusion is that the almost 300 BHP (600+NM) is the limit for this car for usual usage.
    Pussy!

The RS is surprisingly good in the wet on the front with decent turn-in. The rear is not bad when warmed up, but needs care still. I've had the rears spinning a little at 70 on mildly damp roads with a little less than half throttle.
    Alaskan Racing White XFR-S with full carbon, and most other extras.
    Previous. IRR XFS Portfolio
    Previous. Stratus Grey XFS Portfolio

First name
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Pussy!

The RS is surprisingly good in the wet on the front with decent turn-in. The rear is not bad when warmed up, but needs care still. I've had the rears spinning a little at 70 on mildly damp roads with a little less than half throttle.
    I used to have to use the 'loud pedal' with caution when overtaking on a cold damp day in my remapped XFR, when going over the camber, your brain wants you to floor the throttle to get past quickly, but in reality, you have to feather the accelerator

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.