Arise Dame Jessica, Sir Mo and Sir Andy
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arise Dame Jessica, Sir Mo and Sir Andy

3 stars from sport get their Knighthoods from The Queen.

Deserved?

I think so, but interested in what others think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38470732
    2010MY XF-S Portfolio, Ultimate Black, Aero Pack, Dynamic Pack, Reverse Cam, B+W 440, TPMS and Volans

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    John
    Knighthood for running quickly? Nah!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by OBC John View Post
    Knighthood for running quickly? Nah!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S
    Why not? Didn't Seb Coe get a knighthood for running quickly too?
    2010MY XF-S Portfolio, Ultimate Black, Aero Pack, Dynamic Pack, Reverse Cam, B+W 440, TPMS and Volans

First name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigger View Post
    Why not? Didn't Seb Coe get a knighthood for running quickly too?
    Oh, I know. It has ever been so. Just . . . . . nah!!
    "Arise Sir Mo. Thou hast run exceedingly quick and dost fully deserve our favour."
    NAH!!!!!

XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Phil
    Sir Mo has dominated the 5000 and 10000 scene against traditional opposition and as important brought distance running into mainstream focus. Deserves it as much as any sportsman does.

Running Club colleague and neighbour(ish) of mine got a CBE. She is the Mayor of Doncaster.

Sent from a shiny phone. Typos to be expucted...
    XF 3.0D S Portfolio, MY2010. Aero + Dynamics Pack + a big smile. SMD inspired steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by philxf View Post
    Sir Mo has dominated the 5000 and 10000 scene against traditional opposition and as important brought distance running into mainstream focus. Deserves it as much as any sportsman does.

Running Club colleague and neighbour(ish) of mine got a CBE. She is the Mayor of Doncaster.

Thoughts on Jess and Smiler?

By the way - nice name drop with Mayor of Donny - lol

First name
    Phil

Yup happy for both of them too.

XF 3.0D S Portfolio, MY2010. Aero + Dynamics Pack + a big smile. SMD inspired steering wheel.

First name
    Ian
    None of them for me, and as for Mrs Beckham - disgrace. Should be reserved for real heroes and those with lifetime service.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR, D3ggy footrest, Interior LEDs, Red growler, plenty of polish
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

First name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by idrobbo View Post
    None of them for me, and as for Mrs Beckham - disgrace. Should be reserved for real heroes and those with lifetime service.
    Are you aware of all the stuff she does for charity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY15 XFR-S Sportbrake Ultra Blue 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Previous; MY15 XF R-Sport Sportbrake 3.0 IRR / MY13.5 XF Sport Sportbrake 2.2 Polaris White

First name
    John
    Honours should go to people who have served their community or spent their lifetime dedicated to bringing enjoyment to to others (acting, music, etc.). Not just because you can run fast or ride a bike quickly (or put your name to a range of cosmetics!!!!).

XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Phil
    Honours should go to people who have served their community or spent their lifetime dedicated to bringing enjoyment to to others (acting, music, etc.). Not just because you can run fast or ride a bike quickly (or put your name to a range of cosmetics!!!!).

Does Mo and Jess not fulfil your criteria? Go to an athletics meeting where they're there and you'll see what enjoyment they bring. And in relative terms an athletes career is very short hence honours in their 30s.

I know honours are always contentious but I'd struggle to see a reason to argue against those two or Murray.

If you have a spare 25k to donate to incumbent government get one yourself!

First name
    Nick
    The athletes receiving these awards do a lot for their sport beside their own personal achievements. They also raise substantial sums for charity.

example....

https://www.looktothestars.org/news/...-charity-event
    MY2013 IRR XFS Portfolio - Ivory/Charcoal - Piano Black - Hydra Alloys - Parking Pack
    Sorely missed but now replaced by:
    2017 BMW 435d M-Sport Gran Coupé - Tanzanite - Ivory

First name
    Phil

To be fair to Ros Jones (mayor) she's dedicated her life to local politics and has influence beyond Doncaster. Getting a CBE as a Labour mayor during a Tory government was a surprise. She lost her husband this year to a short but ugly illness so I'm made up for her.

Founder member
    Quote Originally Posted by idrobbo View Post
    ^^^This 2000%

Very Active Member
    First name
    Ian
    The problem is that for every honour which becomes of major public interest there are dozens dished out to lower profile people or to people who oil the wheels of the country. Many are deserved but many are , perhaps questionable. Should, for example, civil servants get honours when they are simply doing their jobs? Should politicians get awards, seemingly for what they do for others when they have supposedly been elected to public office to do exactly that? Should somebody who makes you laugh via a TV set be given an award when the brains who designed the infrastructure to send the pictures to you in the first place does not get any recognition? And so it goes on....

We either have to get rid of the honours system completely or accept that, because everyone sees things differently, the recognition criteria will be seen as biased or misguided by many.
    XF-S Face lift Lunar Grey charcoal interior

First name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    The athletes receiving these awards do a lot for their sport beside their own personal achievements. They also raise substantial sums for charity.

example....

https://www.looktothestars.org/news/...-charity-event
    I'd agree with you if the citations said, "For services to charity" or some such. But they don't. Mo Farah for example, is being knighted for running fast!
    And if entertaining people is the yardstick for deserving an honour, then why not all British Premier League footballers who entertain literally millions week in, week out?

XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSB View Post
    Are you aware of all the stuff she does for charity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't doubt she does some things for charity, however I am cynical enough to think that is a PR exercise for brand Beckham. I believe her citation was for services to the fashion industry.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR, D3ggy footrest, Interior LEDs, Red growler, plenty of polish
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Wattisham during the week, Tidworth at weekends
    First name
    James
    Quote Originally Posted by purrcat View Post

We either have to get rid of the honours system completely
    This is what I'd vote for. It's just complete BS imo. Day to day life, who really cares.

James

First name
    Alex
    I'd agree with you if the citations said, "For services to charity" or some such. But they don't. Mo Farah for example, is being knighted for running fast!
    And if entertaining people is the yardstick for deserving an honour, then why not all British Premier League footballers who entertain literally millions week in, week out?

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S
    Lots of sports men and women have been honoured in the past. Exceptional achievements in sport have always been recognised for the feel good factor the population gets from their success. Most of them also deliver more back into the sport helping youngsters develop.

Mo's achievements have been exceptional with a lot of personal sacrifice, a normal premiership footballer hasn't reached that level. Football is recognised just the same as any other sport, in fact football has more knighthood awards than any other sport.

By your logic no sports person should get one, Sir Nick Faldo, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Steve Redgrave all should have missed out too?
    Loves Jags, drives an Audi A6 BE BiTdi, waiting for release of new XF.
    Previously an 2011 XFS Premium Luxury, sold July 2014.
    Adaptive dynamics, Volans, reverse cam, DAB, B&W, heated/cooled seats, DRL's.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguAL View Post
    Lots of sports men and women have been honoured in the past. Exceptional achievements in sport have always been recognised for the feel good factor the population gets from their success. Most of them also deliver more back into the sport helping youngsters develop.

Mo's achievements have been exceptional with a lot of personal sacrifice, a normal premiership footballer hasn't reached that level. Football is recognised just the same as any other sport, in fact football has more knighthood awards than any other sport.

By your logic no sports person should get one, Sir Nick Faldo, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Steve Redgrave all should have missed out too?
    Agreed. Mo, Jess and Andy have not only excelled in their field of competition, but they are very large role models for youngsters - and good ones at that.

Who would you rather your kids take inspiration from? Andy Murray - telling the world that he worked his butt off to get to be the World's No1 tennis player - or some in the moment celebrity who is recognised by some media types who would rather reality TV 'stars' were our inspiration for living our lives?

I like the fact that Nick Skelton got his knighthood. It goes to show and inspire others that you're never too old, and don't give up.

So - for me, it's not only about running fast - but being the best and sustaining that success. Charity work and being the right role model for the rest of us - not only the youngsters.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.