Jaguar Forum banner

Poly bush fitting cost?

18K views 174 replies 17 participants last post by  TheBoy 
#1 ·
Ok so As some of you may know I ordered a set of poly bushes a while ago and only half came... I have now ordered the remaining bushes now and am debating fitting them myself vs getting them fitted by a garage! What would you expect to pay for a full car set of bushes to be fitted?

#7 ·
Yep front and back every bush on the car... upper and lower wishbones front and back... front control arm... shock absorbers... anti roll bar.

I have budgeted about £500 for it so might be in the right ball park hopefully!

#10 ·
Poly bushes have a lot of poor reviews for NVH.. many people change back to new Oem bushes - you can just replace the ones which are worn.

I've replaced one of the rear arms (£150) - but want to do the shock lower bushes next.. I'll be going oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 · (Edited)
Ok well I decided I have given up trying to get hold of a garage now and figured I would give it a go myself! Bought a 12 ton press and a bunch of universal bush push / pullers for about £150 as figured they were useful to have anyway! So I'm going to have a go at it myself over the next few weekends! Also bought a blowtorch and plus gas for the bolts and burning out the bushes! And a hacksaw for cutting out the metal outer bush rings/races! Can't be much harder than the rally car bushes!

#24 ·
Tools have turned up! They look mega! 12t press and a full set of universal bush extracters along with various hack saws and drill bits... need to reorganise my garage to fit the press in now and then will be able to crack on this weekend hopefully!

#33 ·
Ok so... good news and bad!

The press is awesome and will happily remove all the bushes with the bush puller fittings! We pressed out the biggest bush first and while it took a lot of pressure it just popped out! :)

Now for the bad news!

We can't get the new bush in! And we have damaged one so have given up for now to contact powerflex for further instructions!

I will upload some photos when I can!

#67 ·
You shouldn't really Dave. Done incorrectly can leave stress raisers - and potential cracks later on.

we already filed it down as much as we felt comfortable doing but I guess you might be right... apparently boiling the bush in water may help soften it for fitting too!
1mm - 2mm max chamfer?

#47 ·
It won't harm to file a leading edge on the bush, once fitted, this part will be on the outside of the joint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.