Jaguar Forum banner

Poly bush fitting cost?

18K views 174 replies 17 participants last post by  TheBoy 
#1 ·
Ok so As some of you may know I ordered a set of poly bushes a while ago and only half came... I have now ordered the remaining bushes now and am debating fitting them myself vs getting them fitted by a garage! What would you expect to pay for a full car set of bushes to be fitted?

#55 ·
The jubilee clip will prevent expansion, but the extra malleability will help with tightening the clip

#59 ·
#78 ·
It costs them next to nothing to replace a faulty item and retain customer satisfaction.

If I were you I'd be hanging over them the potential to return the rest of the kit for a refund. If they won't stand by their product/warranty now why would you trust them enough to fit the rest?! Worth referring them to this thread too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#80 ·
Hi Paul,

Apologies, this is something that I will need to forward to our technical department. Unfortunately, most of our team are at the Autosport International show until Monday now.

I will forward your email on to them to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Kind Regards
Signature
Leigh Armstrong ~ Sales Administrator

so much for this happening yesterday.

#85 ·
I'm a little late to this thread....

I put polybushes in several locations in my 2005 XJR. With the wisdom of hindsight I really wish that I hadn't.

The bushes I put in were the front upper wishbones (2x per side), the rear bushes on the upper and lower rear wishbones (2x per side) and the rear sway bar bushes. Basically any of the plain rubber bushes, the ones that were not spherical joints / rose joints / pillowballs / whateveryouwanttocallthem

Every couple of months I need to get under the car and spray the bushes with a lubricant to shut them up, they creak like hell.

Worst is the bushes on the rear sway bar, they are unaccessable without lowering the rear subframe, so they squeak/creak constantly. Rolling over a speedhump I hear the creak every time.

When my new car arrives i'll be putting the XJR off the road for an overhaul and believe me I will be replacing all these damn polybushes with OEM rubber ones.

Was a clever idea at the time, but in hindsight a stupid mistake that I really regret.

#93 ·
Hi Wilf I know and understand so annoying just need a piece of paper.

#96 ·
This has gone on too long!

I did look for them in Autosport, however, they were in the commercial halls and were only there Thursday and Friday.

#99 ·
Literally just had this!
Hi Paul,

Apologies for this.

Myself and all of our Technical Staff have only returned to the office this morning and most of today has been spent unpacking from the show hence I’m still in the office now trying to catch up on some emails.

Do you have a link to the forum post if this is a common problem and you’ve felt it needed sharing with others? I’d really like to hear other people’s experiences as maybe we could learn from this. It’s possibly the first time it’s been brought to our attention so if it has been a problem in the past, people are yet to report it.

To be honest, if the instructions are followed there’s no reason why the parts shouldn’t fit. We have used this design of bush on many applications and of course have to fit the parts ourselves during the development and testing stages.

If the bush kept on failing during installation we simply wouldn’t make it in this way.

We’ll happily replace the parts under warranty but please do keep us updated of how your garage gets on.

What address would you like them sent to?

#104 ·
Still waiting for the replacement, hoping to crack on this weekend! They have given me some tips:

Sorry for the delay, I can see that was a gripe for you on the forum. It was just unfortunate timing and you manged to email at a time where we really have a skeleton staff because of the show. These things have a habit of disrupting us for days after especially straight after Christmas however it’s all necessary and a small price to pay and despite all of the extra work, it can lead to greater exposure and potentially more customers.

I’ve had a good read and it seems like there’s actually very few issues, it’s more people’s concerns about polyurethane bushes in general. This is good in some respect but a lot of it misconceptions based on old stories about PU bushes, or people using inferior brands and unfortunately we all get a bashing because all polyurethane bushes are regarded as being the same. This isn’t the case as there can be different formulations of PU, different components used, different manufacturing techniques, different design aspects that will be detrimental to how a bush operates….the list goes on.

We don’t make a bush for the other end of this arm because it’s a spherical joint and we just couldn’t replicate the strength or movement required from this bush using Polyurethane.

There’s not a great deal I can see that you’ve done wrong to be honest. My only 2 tips would be to try and push the bush in at an angle so that the lip starts to take and fold in and then the rest of the bush should follow. Also, show the material some sympathy i.e. do it slowly. Sometimes garages can try and press them in as they would a metalstic bush with metal outer casing and apply too much pressure too quickly.

I’ll get some replacement parts out so you and fingers crossed you’ll have better luck this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.