8 speed vs 6 speed creeping
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    First name
    Mick

8 speed vs 6 speed creeping

Has anyone else who's moved from a 6 speed to an 8 speed XF noticed a difference with creeping? I've come from a 2012 6 speed XFR to a 2015 8 speed XFR and am finding it a bit weak

I've noticed it slightly over the few weeks that I've had the car, but today I had to do a parallel park reversing up a hill and struggled a bit. In the old car it'd just pull as I let off the brake wherever it was, today I found myself rolling forwards and had to use the parking brake to hold it until I got the revs up a bit so it'd pull backwards. I've noticed the same when driving up the slight slope on my drive too, the old car would just go but this one sits there or rolls very slowly until I use the accelerator.

Is this normal or something I should be getting checked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

First name
    Carl
    Have you tried it with Dynamic mode enabled?

First name
    Ian
    Now you mention it, I think I had something similar recently. Didn't really think about it at the time. Not aware of anything else out of order, so would just see it as a 'feature' of the newer box. It's different.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR, D3ggy footrest, Interior LEDs, Red growler, plenty of polish
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

5. Remove Advertisements
    JagInfo.org
    Advertisements

Try manually selecting 1st with the paddles. The 'box will default to 2nd for "normal" starts, only if you clog it some will it actually drop into first (or are in Sport IIRC).
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. A V6 engine and a Portfolio interior are now mutually exclusive if you live in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

First name
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by carlpea View Post
    Have you tried it with Dynamic mode enabled?
    No, should it be making a difference to creeping?

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Try manually selecting 1st with the paddles. The 'box will default to 2nd for "normal" starts, only if you clog it some will it actually drop into first (or are in Sport IIRC).
    I was trying to go backwards, selecting 1st would have guaranteed hitting the car in front

First name
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAdams View Post

I was trying to go backwards, selecting 1st would have guaranteed hitting the car in front
    It changes the throttle response so maybe?

I've never found a problem with the car rolling back when on a hill.

First name
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by carlpea View Post
    It changes the throttle response so maybe?

I've never found a problem with the car rolling back when on a hill.
    I've not had it roll back in D either I don't think, but it doesn't creep nearly as easily as the last one. This was rolling forwards when in reverse, which is definitely something I've not had before. It felt quite like driving our Audi A1 with S-Tronic, there's a delay before it actually engages a gear and I'd need to use the hand brake in the same situation to stop it rolling forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAdams View Post

LOL, well, at least if you want more "creep" forwards, you have some ideas!
    XF replaced by a big tractor due to intransigence of Jaguar marketing. A V6 engine and a Portfolio interior are now mutually exclusive if you live in the UK, but not elsewhere.

Old lives matter!

First name
    Lawrence
    I've only ever had the 8 speed, so can't make a comparison. I have noticed a very slight delay at times when moving off though. Does the ZF 'box have a 'neutral-shift' feature? I've thought I could detect a very slight change in revs as if the load was taken off the engine. Years ago, my Vauxhall autos shifted themselves into neutral when stationary for more than a few moments, e.g. at traffic signals. Drive re-engaged almost instantly when moving off, but it did feel a bit strange at first.
    2014 3.0D - Saloon - Portfolio - Rhodium Silver / Charcoal / Burr Walnut

It's just a feature of the gear ratios I think. The 6 speed starts in first, the 8 speed starts in second unless high demand or manually selected. So you will lose a bit of torque there too.

First name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
    It's just a feature of the gear ratios I think. The 6 speed starts in first, the 8 speed starts in second unless high demand or manually selected. So you will lose a bit of torque there too.
    6 speed starts in 2nd. I have to shift down if I want a quick get-away. 😕

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
    XF-S Portfolio in BLACK

First name
    Andy
    I've had 6 and 8 speed. Can't say I noticed any difference to creep. Slightly different idle speed would make some difference.
    XFR Italian Racing Red / Black Varunas / Red Zone interior / Performance Pack / Meridian 825w

First name
    Lawrence
    I've been trying to find a bit more information about the ZF 8 speed transmission and have been trawling the net. As with all things on t'interweb, I don't know how accurate the data is, but it seems that the 8 speed does indeed have a 'neutral-shift' capability.

Taken from an Australian web-site: "A new innovation of the 8HP is the clutch is now fully opened during deceleration and when the vehicle is stationary, which ZF says means it is now no longer necessary to “‘brake’ against the drive”. That is certainly how my 2015 MY feels when moving off from rest or when shuffling around whilst parking etc.
    2014 3.0D - Saloon - Portfolio - Rhodium Silver / Charcoal / Burr Walnut

Quote Originally Posted by OBC John View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
    6 speed starts in 2nd. I have to shift down if I want a quick get-away. 😕

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎
    It's been done to death.

The only way you'll really tell is to stick it in D and then press the winter button. You'll feel the gear change even before you start moving. Go on, try it tomorrow... it's even more pronounced with a cold gear box.

Everyone who has had this mentioned to them had either agreed, or just gone very quiet.

The 8 speed does start in second, I'll give you that

First name
    Phil
    I understood the gearbox has some sort of memory and "learns" individual driving styles. Thus experiences of the gearbox can differ.

2014 XFS Portfolio. Carnelian Red, Ivory/Charcoal/Piano Black, sunroof, camera, diffuser
    Previous 2013 XFS Portfolio. Carnelian Red, Ivory, sunroof, camera
    2010XFS PL Specrum Blue, Ivory, Camera

First name
    John
    Sorry, late to this discussion. Had both 6 speed and now the 8 speed. Not noticed any creep in either. However, the 8 speed idle is higher than on the 6 speed. In traffic, I tend to drop it down to 1st gear as it is easier to crawl in slow traffic. Idle looks to drop by 50-60rpm in 1st gear, compared to 2nd.

And to add to the comments, I does not drop back to first gear when you pull up to a junction etc. If you want first, you must manually select it on the paddles. You can feel the change and the idle revs drop to show the change.
    MY2015 XFR IRR / Black Pack/ Speed Pack / Dark Dracos / Warm Charcoal - Ivory/ Spires Exhaust/ lots of extras
    ​Previously MY2011 XFR Utimate Black/warm charcoal/B&W/rear camera/extras

It will drop into first if you boot it from standstill. But normally it stays in second.

Old lives matter!

First name
    Phil
    Hehe, didn't we agree to disagree on this last time? My 6 speeder definitely pulls away in 1st in most situations. Can tell by sound and feel but also when at a traffic light if I flick up to 2nd, can feel it change, paddle back to D can feel it change back.

Sent from a shiny phone. Typos to be expucted...
    XF 3.0D S Portfolio, MY2010. Aero + Dynamics Pack + a big smile. SMD inspired steering wheel.

6 speeder? How quaint.

Old lives matter!

First name
    Neill
    All my XFs drop to 1st at standstill. If you think yours doesn't then try this.

In D in non-sport let the brake go and then pull the right paddle. You can feel the car change gear and the display says '2'.
    Alaskan Racing White XFR-S with full carbon, and most other extras.
    Previous. IRR XFS Portfolio
    Previous. Stratus Grey XFS Portfolio

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.