Jaguar Forum banner

Wet brakes

18K views 165 replies 38 participants last post by  dslives 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have really slow reacting brakes when there wet? Is this normal? I drove home today and it was raining the whole way with about a cm of water on the road. I noticed that every time I pushed the brakes I had to push at least 3 times harder than normal and it took a few seconds to feel like they were doing anything.

James

#2 ·
Unless you go deep enough for the water to drench the brakes then I would doubt it, probably more to do with a reduced temperature of late, what pads are you using?

#12 ·
Yep mine is like that. Only when it's very wet. Noticed it on the 355mm brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I was always told to dab the brakes first, to clear the water off the disc, then apply the brakes as you would normally (obviously accounting for wet road surfaces).

#19 ·
I can think of only one or two occasions in my entire driving life when "normal wet" weather (i.e. not having driven through a ford) has made my brakes unresponsive for a brief interval.

I certainly never experienced it in 7 years of XFs, nor my nearly one year of the Sport.

#20 ·
I noticed that every time I pushed the brakes I had to push at least 3 times harder than normal and it took a few seconds to feel like they were doing anything.

James
Hi James, out of interest is this something new that has just developed? Am I correct in think a few seconds is say 2 or 3 seconds having to apply extra pressure? And if it's been raining do you have to apply extra pressure every time on the same journey?

Other than going through deep water, I can't say that I've ever experienced the same issues you mention in wet weather situations.

#25 ·
I don't recall it being as noticeable as it was on Friday, yes I meant 2 to 3 seconds and it was every time I used the brakes if they'd not been used for over a minute.

The road was very wet, it was raining hard but still ok to sit at 60 without aquaplaning.

It was raining for most of my journey tonight to and again the same symptoms. Just this time I was expecting it so I didn't [emoji90] my shorts.

James

#22 ·
I agree with James, my car on original pads has notably worse brake performance when wet. I have never had a car with such a difference in braking performance between conditions. It's not the reaction they just don't bite very well in the wet. Even after the first second or so when they should have dried they just don't slow me down as fast. Maybe time for pad replacement (no mention on service last month). Mine have 30k on original pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I had exactly this experience today coming down the M6 through the rain. At first I really thought I wouldn't be able to stop the car. Never noticed it before. Don't know if my other cars had different systems, or just had smaller brakes and the effect wasn't so bad maybe. Dunno.

Curious what the variables are that contribute: pads, discs, age of either, temperature. Probably all of them.

#24 ·
I never experienced this on my last XF or my current car before I upgraded the brakes. At first I thought it was the grooved and dimpled discs but reading this makes me think otherwise.

#26 ·
Can't say I've ever noticed this. But one day last winter after I'd washed the car on a very cold morning, I thought the brakes had failed totally. Fortunately I didn't hit anything and only after eventually pulling up remembered seeing the water freezing on the discs when cleaning the wheels. Be aware!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

#27 ·
I had a few worrying moments with initial no brakes after motorway driving in heavy rain. Mainly on my old XFR, but sometimes on the current one.

I got into the habit of a quick jab of the brakes coming off the motorway and then it stopped fine when at the junction. I guess the 380mm disks can hold a fair amount of water.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Thanks James. That just doesn't seem right or acceptable. I accept that if water builds up between the brake and disc there might be a momentary delay in response and pressure, but 2 or 3 seconds seems worrying if not dangerous and I think I'd soil my pants if it happened. As for the reason why it seems to be happening to a number of owners is a mystery to me. This is something that I've never come across before. It was interesting to hear Chris has also experienced this, but only after upgrading his brakes which seems to suggest it's the discs and pads rather than the servo unit. baffled.com

#29 ·
Perhaps it's the wheel design, allowing more rain mist on to the discs?, can't be from the back because of the dust shield..?

#30 ·
That was my thought also Gav, more open the wheel the more water allowed in?

I just had a search and this problem seems wide spread across a number of vehicles. It's just something that I've not come across before, but it's food for thought and something that I had never considered before.

#34 ·
On a serious note, there seem to be two distinct camps here - those that are experiencing braking delay in wet weather driving, and those that never have.

How can we pin down the causative factor(s)?

#35 · (Edited)
Hi, I can't say I have ever experienced any delay in the wet regardless of make of pads, I have had ordinary discs, dimpled and grooved, and OE pads as well as EBC, Mintex , and Ferodo. Phil
p.s. I have the Cygnus wheels.

#37 ·
Essentially I have the same James. S brakes with 20" Dark Dracos.

However same wheels and my old 326mm brakes and no problem.

#38 ·
It all depends on usage. If you've been using them a lot then they will self-dry. I only get the problem when on a motorway after a long period on non-use, i.e. they've cooled down with the assistance of the rain water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.