Jaguar Forum banner

DRL

8K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  OzXFR 
#1 ·
Hi all, do any of you know what wire I tap into under the bonnet that is live with ignition on? I'd like to have my DRL to come on without having to switch my side lights on. Any pics or fuse no would be helpful. Thanks

#2 ·
Jack,
I fitted after-market blade DRLs to my old XFS, and I used a "tap-a-fuse" to one of the fuses in the engine bay fuse box, but I can't remember which one. All I can remember is that it was a red 10 amp fuse.
It was a bit dodgy though, in that the DRLs turned on with the ignition but they did not turn off when the headlights were turned on (which is technically illegal in Oz, not sure about the UK).
The "correct" way to wire up DRLs on an XF is to cut and splice into the headlight wiring looms, as shown in these two pics:

Text Line art Line Font Diagram

Line art Text Diagram Line Font

A bit too scary and beyond my abilities, so I didn't bother.

#3 ·
Jack,
...which is technically illegal in Oz, not sure about the UK...
Really? That'll make all facelift XFs illegal, then, won't it?? :confused:

#4 ·
I believe the facelift DRLs turn off when the headlights are turned on, can anyone confirm this (or otherwise)?

#6 ·
Nope, the LEDs stay on. They dim a tad when indicating on the same side as the Indicator, but otherwise stay on with both low and high beam. I guess it's the equivalent of a clearance light for if ever the headlight fails.

#8 ·
Current legislation is for the DRLs to dim with headlight use and to dim on the side of the turn indication, the first because of their brilliance so not to dazzle on coming vehicles at night, the second so as not to mask the turn indication.

In the early days of DRLs I believe they only had to dim down if they were fitted within a certain distance of the headlight or turn indication

#10 ·
But not in Australia, interestingly: I went out and checked my facelift XF headlights and LEDs- the LEDs don't dim with the headlights at all. In fact, they don't really add any extra light to the xenons, so could hardly be a dazzler. However, they do dim slightly with the indicator.

#14 ·
An interesting difference (UK vs Australian spec XFs). Mind you, Australian Design Rules are the bane of most vehicle importers: we are never exactly the same as any other country.

#15 ·
I believe, happy to be corrected, DRLs are not compulsary in Aussie rules

#16 ·
Correct, they are not compulsory. But knowing the Oz safety Nazis it's only a matter of time before they are.
Also, I knew I had read somewhere that DRLs must be off when the headlights are on, and I found a mention here: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/daytime-running-lights-law/

"Queensland’s Traffic Road Use Management – Vehicle Standards and Safety Regulation 2012 states:
A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle;
A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light: (a) at least 600mm from the centre of the other light; and (b) not over 510mm from the nearer side of the vehicle;
However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle under 1300mm wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not under 400mm from the centre of the other light;
When on, a daytime running light must: (a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle; and (b) not use over 25W; and
Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on."

That is Qld only, but I suspect the same applies in some other states and/or territories.
The Oz road rules are a mess, we have the Australian Road Rules legislation which is meant to cover all of Oz and over-ride most of the different sate and territory legislation, but some of the wildly different state and territory legislation over-rides or supplements the ARR. So when travelling in Oz you need to read up on whatever rules apply in the state or territory you intend to drive to/in, and finding (let alone deciphering) those different rules is a nightmare!

#17 ·
I drove illegally in Queensland last week, then. Or would have done so back in 2012.

I think the definition of daytime running lights is either inaccurate, or the rule is out of date.

#18 ·
It gets worse.
The current Australian Road Rules are dated Feb 2012 (although they are under review), and they don't mention DRLs at all.
Then, to complicate matters, it appears each state and territory has their own version of the ARR.
The current Qld version is dated 8/10/2015, and it also does not mention DRLs at all.
Same with the current SA version.
I haven't checked other state or territory current versions (eg NSW), but it seems likely that none of them mention DRLs.
So that begs the question, are there any laws at all covering the operation of DRLs in Oz?
I suspect there are none any more, which means anything goes.
Which IMHO is a good thing, more choice, more freedom, less Nanny State interference. But of course the Gummint won't allow that to continue for long.

#19 · (Edited)
And still the mystery deepens.
Per this page: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transp...nd-modifications/lighting-and-instrumentation, in SA:
"Daytime running lamps
Daytime running lights are bright white forward-facing lights that improve the visibility of a vehicle in the daytime.
A pair of daytime running lamps may be fitted to a motor vehicle. The lights must be wired so they are not illuminated while the vehicle's main headlights are on. They also must conform to requirements outlined in the Australian Design Rules 76/00."
But I am unable to find any law or regulation which states this. I've checked ADR 76/00, which dates from 2006, and it says nothing on this point.
That's not to say no such law or regulation exists, just that I can't find it without intensive searching.
PS - I was a tax man for nearly 35 years, and for much of that time I was a technical/legal expert. You would not believe the number of conflicts, contradictions, anomalies and omissions I found in the tax laws, it was staggering. The Oz road rules appear to be no better.

#20 ·
Is there nothing you can do to bring it to the correct body/person's attention? Or will it more than likey be swallowed up in megatons of bureaucracy?

#21 ·
You got it right in your second sentence!

#22 ·
Humble apologies. Having tested the lights in my garage and against a glass wall, the DRLs shine with the same intensity if sitting in the car and observing a close-up reflection. But when I reversed out from the garage and where the light dispersion was greater, I have now discovered that the DRLs do actually dim down to what I assume is 25W or thereabouts (same as when indicator flashes).

So I was wrong - but still agree that State and Territory legislation vs Australian Design Rules has a long way to go in achieving harmonisation!

#23 ·
@ivanov

therefore you could argue that the DRLs with the headlights on are nothing more than glorified fancy side lights and as such you are free to go on your way in any State of Oz. I bet if Kim changed his two side lights from the standard bulbs to a pair of LEDs they would be brighter than your dimmed down J blade.

#25 · (Edited)
Guess what he did months ago! Or did you already know that?
And yes my Cree side lights are pretty bright and yes I use them as DRLs.

#24 ·
Yes, Colin - I agree. The nexus between sidelights from old Volvos and DRLs is very blurred. Unfortunately, design rules and legislation never explain their reasoning: it seems daft.

#27 ·
I wish!
I have never seen anyone pulled over for "not keeping left unless overtaking", which is my pet peeve.
On the few multi-lane freeways or expressways we have here in SA roughly 40% of vehicles sit in the right-hand land at 5, 10, 15 even 20 km/h under the already idiotically slow speed limit.
They drive me nuts!

#28 ·
Never pulled over in the XF. Never photographed for speeding, either. Maybe because it's black? :rolleyes:

#30 ·
Yep, the funny thing is that on Adelaide roads that have three lanes (not many of 'em), the quickest lane by far in peak hour traffic is the far left lane coz no-one ever uses it!
You only need to watch out for buses and trucks, and having DRLs helps them see you (see how I steered this thread back on topic?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.