Mucky to Clean in 57 easy steps Part two

15K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  Philayl 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to Part two

Towels
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Dish
Dish Food Cuisine Breakfast Ingredient
Glove Yellow Green Personal protective equipment Finger

If you take your towel and fold it into four this will pad your hand even more so cutting down even further the possibility of scratching your finish
I find this last step in drying i enjoy the most, it is almost like buffing your paint to a nice shine and gives you time to inspect the paint closely for any defects.

Dressing

Product Water Material property Liquid
Drink Lager Glass Beer Distilled beverage
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Vehicle Wheel

i find this stuff lasts and lasts and very easy to put on, tyre fitters dont like it though.
you can use a normal sponge to apply or i like a paint brush, for me it just finishes better, the down side is you may use more chemical and if you drive
before it dries you can get splatter, but you have just washed your car who want to drive it and get it dirty again, not me.

Inside

i have been asked by Woody to do a full detail on the inside so will not concentrate on this area to much but this is what i did today

Last Touch Detailer
Pink Product Bottle Plastic bottle Water bottle
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle door Wheel Rim
Brush Material property Hand Finger Cosmetics
Vehicle door Door handle Door Automotive exterior Auto part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Rim Auto part
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part

i do class the door hinges etc as inside for some reason, may be just me
I told you i love those brushes didn't I
Last detailer is a good way to clean the hinges and door sills, as long as they are not very contaminated then i would use a degreaser or such.
I this case we want to take care not to wash any oil or grease that may be needed to keep the hinge working smoothly.

Vacuum
Electric blue Vehicle Auto part Wheel Car
Tire Automotive tire Water Wire Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Floor Car Automobile pedal Mat
Vehicle Car Floor
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car Center console

the dyson is a very powerful machine and is a great size for the car as you can see. My i do need that new foot plate. D3GGY>
My advice is when you are doing the inside use a paint brush to go over your facia and hold the vac a few inches away, this way you will not damage your fitting with the hard plastic of the vacuum

Leather
Material property
Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Family car
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Jaguar xf
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Windshield Vehicle door

Dr leather does leave a nice mat finish and very easy to use every day
This is the firts time i have put it on the facia and i will let you know how it goes but so far so good.
I sealed all my leather about 7 weeks ago so no water or chemicals get to it but the leather wipes do add a nice matting and they smell off roses, NO they dont they smell of leather, nice.
It is nice to see rain water bead so much on the door leather when you get in the car. Also if stuff can not get to the leather it stays clean so no shinny steering wheel.

Stand back and admire your work
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Motor vehicle

So this is what i did this afternoon (23rd November 2012)
Total time 2hours 12 mins with taking photos and planing. this normally takes about 1Hour 30mins aprox. It has taken me longer to do this post.

I asked my self why i do it and the answer was simple i, I LOVE IT, i am outside and getting some exercise, i love the way people admire the car i love to watch the water run off as i drive along and i love
the new owner of my 6 year old passat ringing me up and asking if the car had been totally respray as it was in such great condition. Some people play golf i just want to wash a Golf.

Funny thing today an old lady who lives a few doors down in the close said to me, 'i feel sorry for you having to clean your car so much does not stay clean' at the time i had the snow foam lance in my hands, god i have self control.

I hope that some one finds it a help in some way

wishing every one well

James

See less See more
#4 ·
very kind words there fellas.

it is important to get feed back when people post a thread it is the life blood of any forum even if it is a quick thank you for the post.

James

#10 ·
These are great posts James, very interesting and full of good tips.

I have to say though (very tongue-in-cheek) that having a silver car is a bit of a cop-out on your part. I found my last (liquid silver) XF very easy to keep looking clean and shiny, but after a few weeks with the Stratus Grey (and I am sure Stig and Aqua will agree) it takes ten times the amount of work.
I am washing every other day at present, so good job I am retired.

#5 ·
Stunning work as always James.

I love Meguires last touch detailer ! Such a versatile product. I use it as a spray after washing and rinsing and as a lube for claying.. I get it locally in a five gallon container fro £80.. Mt Wife thinks I drink it !!

#7 · (Edited)
Now that does sound interesting because I spend more on that stuff than anything else.

#6 ·
Gosh James, you must be the only forum member who's happy when their car gets dirty.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
Unfortunately its just a local motorist shop that sells among other stuff a few Meguires products... I would imagine shipping such a container would wipe out any gains !

Dont know if you Guys dilute the stuff but I use it neat except as a clay lube where I dilute 50/50 with water...

James have you tried Megures Hyper Dressing ?? Its absolutely fantastic stuff !! Again its very dilutable and can be used on everything from tyres to interiors on leather and dashboards sat nav screens the whole lot !!

On tyres it leaves a very Non greasy finish which looks very natural. Just really black with a nice sheen or shinier if used neat.. Honestly its so versatile and one of the very best products I've used..

I have HiStyle but use it on the black trims on bumpers. Mudflaps and other black plastic parts but find it a little greasy on tyres and to shiny . Well for me anyway.. Though of course the shineyness can be reduced by adding water.... Again a great product but not one I use often

#16 ·
MMmmmm White is an easy colour.. After silver I would say the easiest colour to look good longest.. I love white on some cars but it has to be the right car.. The XF in my opinion really looks fantastic in white and would be my choice if I were ordering a new car !!

Silver to get it at its absolute best takes much much refining and I use Meguires number 7 as the final finish polish before waxing. Megs claim it adds oil to the colour but I'm not so sure if that's a load of cobblers .. But it does add something.. A real "wet " look can be had but its a lot of machining to get it..

This is a picture of a BMW M3 I had some time ago. Only have the one pic of a silver car I did as I lost most of my car pictures when a PC self destructed !!

That silver Bimmer.

This Audi has also had a final finish with Megs Number7..

#17 ·
Love the red, I miss my red car it just looked stunning I remember it is classes as a dark colour so reflects very well indeed

I will have to try the Megs 7 I may even have some will have to look

One thing I find though is because I layer the way I do I seem to just be taking care of the top layer of wax so it would shock me if I even needed to clay within 24 months or so and all other car I work on are not silver.

The TT needs a bit of TLC next year I feel, that will be interesting to work on, I may even fit a clear bra to it.

Wishing you well mate

James

#18 ·
I was not going to start a new thread just to post this so i though i would tag it onto the is .

today is 21.2.13 and it is cold, now in my defence i am going to a detailing meeting from DW on Sunday so i wanted to clean my car.

it was showing 1.5 degrees so i though i would get away with it but the wind chill, wow.

My snow foam froze

Automotive exterior Water Glass Vehicle door Auto part
Freezing Food Ice Cuisine
Sky
Tights Leg Textile Material property Hand
Ice Sky Freezing Winter Iceberg
Freezing Water Snow Winter Ice
Winter Freezing Floor Concrete Snow
Freezing Sky Ice Water Arctic
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Sedan

now i am lucky as i own a 18volt Normad battery power power washer, and a great bit of kit it is too, i will do a review but may be when i am on holiday as this is when i use it the most, the good news i could use warm water so just carried on. lots of swilling and little rubbing

James

#19 ·
Jeez James :eek:

I did think about washing mine today ........ But came to my senses :D

#26 ·
So it has been quite a long time since my last post, sorry about that but with the neck and then getting sepsis it has been a very long recovery.
I have kept up with my car nice and clean and this February it will be 10 years I can not believe how time has flown by.

#28 ·

‘my dad passed away 2 months ago so we bought his car it needed quite a lot of paint correction to it so I’ve done so much for winter and then I’ll concentrate on it in summer

I hope every one stays safe though these mad times

James

Attachments

Reactions: Statler
#29 ·
Two very clean looking cars there James!! :cool:

#32 ·
Welcome back James.

That chat we had on the phone all those years ago really got me interested in detailing even to the point of making a few quid out of it.

Your cars look stunning.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Seven & a half years to wash a car ... o_O

Welcome back James.:cool: Most of the old reprobates are still here ... and the odd one still has a Jag!

#36 ·
James!!!

Sorry to hear of your father passing away.

Also glad to hear that your own health has improved.

Welcome back.

Looking forward to reading your future posts. You can also show Chris how to clean a car properly ;)

Reactions: ChrisSB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.