Jaguar Forum banner

Rear Diffuser - A Warning...

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Cj10jeeper 
#1 ·
Chaps,

Just spoke to my insurance company (LV) this morning re the Rear Diffuser upgrade and they class it as a bodywork modification and because it makes the car ..MORE.. appealing to rob they stung me for... £96.44.. Ouch :(

And the Mudflaps and LEDS changes did not incur any additional cost...

#2 ·
If it's fitted as an optional extra there is no extra charge with LV. Perhaps you should have mentioned that it's available as an option on the XFS.

#3 ·
Hi Stig,

Just contacted them and stated your comments they have informed me that if it is fitted from new it is included in the price but if it is fitted after you have purchased the car it is a mod and therefore chargeable...

#4 ·
This is (another) thing a hate about insurance co.
One mans delight is another mans horror, is so subjective, but in the eyes of the insurance co it makes the car in question more desirable.

I think this guy should get a discount!!!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Yellow

#7 · (Edited)
To be honest I wouldn't tell them for such a mod. I'm sure the assessor wouldn't have a clue..... And if you take it to your friendly Jaguar dealer (Sturgess) I'm sure they can assist with any claim that was made.

IF a car is brought 2nd hand it's very difficult to know what is standard. And I would imagine its the same on some new cars too.

#8 ·
If you bought a used XFS, how would you know whether it was originally supplied with the XFR diffuser or not? It's often a dealer fit option so it wouldn't show up on Topix.

#11 ·
My Volans wheels, sport front bumper and aero sideskirts were part of the original specification on my car (2011 'S' with adaptive dynamics) but I thought I had better mention them to the insurance company for completeness.

They charged me another £90+ and their justification was that if they were damaged in an accident, they would be replaced with the 'standard spec' parts unless they were quoted as being fitted on the policy details. They wanted to know the actual cost initially, but after some discussion we decided on 'bodywork modifications to £2000' (uprated wheels were separate but also stated). Since I have now fitted the XFS facelift diffuser I am taking it that is also covered.

#12 ·
I wonder if an insurance company would discount the premium by £90 if I swapped the XFR diffuser for a standard one....I think we can safely assume the answer would be NO!!

#13 ·
Chaps,

Just spoke to my insurance company (LV) this morning re the Rear Diffuser upgrade and they class it as a bodywork modification and because it makes the car ..MORE.. appealing to rob they stung me for... £96.44.. Ouch :(
So.....LV insure 2 identical XFSs with the XFR diffuser fitted, except one was ordered as an option, the other fitted as a mod. One customer pays £96.44 more than the other for an identical risk! That doesn't seem fair.

#14 ·
I actually don't have a problem with insurers charging more to add on extras. They make the car more desirable to steal, generally increase the cost or repairs and in many cases indicate a higher level of risk in which through the manner in which the car is driven. All general, but then insurers weigh risks in general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.