Jaguar Forum banner

Am I ready for vacation ?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedyholm 
#1 ·
Hi there
Have a XF 3.0D 2010 with 114.000 km on the clock.
I just had the brakes done both front and back by an Independent service shop.
They also checked the oil level, which told to add 1 liter.
The service shop added 1 liter, and the check said level OK.
My last oil change I did a little too soon, if you look at milage, but a little more than a year in time.
It was in November at 94.0000 km and previously it was done 14 months earlier at 78.000 km.
I am going to drive 3500 km on vacation, and there should be 26.000 km between oil changes.
This Means I should change at 120.000 km.
Could I just go or should I think of changing oil before the vacation ?

#3 ·
Stick your head under the car, and see if you have any obvious signs of an oil leak. Even a few drops a day add up.

Preferably - Oil changes are easy and relatively inexpensive. Get the oil changed, and renew any seals on the sump plug.

#4 ·
It is actually not soon after service.
The last "service" was done at 94.000 km and it has now done 114.000.
So it is 20.000 km since the service, and 20.000 out of 26.000 between services.
I had just the brakes done now, since they were near the end.
And there are no indication of oil spill anywhere. Not under the Hood or the driveway.
And the car runs very smooth by the way.

#5 ·
For the sake of the cost of an oil filter and a gallon of oil why not just change it anyway before the trip.
The additives in oil breakdown slowly but that breakdown is continuous and engines give oil an hard time, your oil is near to the end of its life and the trip is going to give the oil a pounding with such intense use within a couple of weeks.
Nice fresh oil will cool better, reduce oxidisation, clean oilways better and reduce friction - your engine will love you all the more.

#9 ·
Yes the cambelt is due at 165.000 km and will have it done then. Regarding service I did ask them to change oil anyway before our vacation.
But the man at the service said it was not necessary before it was due, which would be in 6000 km, which will atleast be 2000 km after our trip.
So I guessed it was OK. Also because I would like to see if the service warning is displayed. The last oil service I did before this message came.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.