Jaguar Forum banner

restricted performance nightmare trip

21K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  Rigger 
#1 ·
Greetings all. Been away for 6 months as had traded my portfolio xfs in for a merchant e250 coupe.hated it, back in an 11 plate xfs and it looks immense (imho of course)

So. Had 4 months, not missed a beat. Some regular motorway runs. Never had dpf light on since I bought it end of Dec

Tues last week had a Celtic tuning map. All seemed well. Had before on another car which was ok. Town trips 3 days

Yesterday in motorway traffic, yellow dog followed by red dpf 5 minutes later
Thoroughly pe3d off as you can imagine.

Anyhow, it cleared after being off for a while, so took it on a 40 mile dpf burn trip, allowed its regen, as monitored by the variation in mpg

Today, off from Liverpool to Coventry for a family event. Pulled to overtake.POP.
Restricted performance in Red, reduced power.

Hard shoulder, left it off. Reset itself, and off we go again

Taking it easy, then again to accelerate red restricted performance in Red.
Accompanied by engine management light in Orange

Made it to Keele services

Rac plugged it in (by this point dash is back to normal no warnings): it read 58 faults! Inc maf sensor, multiple transmission errors, turbine faults

Flat bedded back up and now waiting for jag to open up in the morning. Took it for a trundle, as had to park it, seems fine again

Any thoughts appreciated. First thought get that bloody map off my car. Not a coincidence. Is it possible it's fried my ecu ? Could it even be something like a battery being low ( even the battery warning light came on this afternoon)

Also, this map is obviously throwing out too much soot if the dpf is blocking so quick.

A 10 hour wasted trip. Thank God for the rac.

Anyone else had a Celtic map

See less See more
#2 ·
Recent posts on here in similar circumstances relate to air leakage around the intercooler or the secondary turbo valve actuator (I've experienced both!). So may not be the remap. Could be a coincidence or maybe it has just exposed an underlying problem that would have surfaced sooner or later anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a rather nice black XF-S Portfolio

#3 ·
Low battery warning light seems a big clue to me. First thing I would check in your shoes, followed by the intercooler connection check.

Welcome back, sorry you are having an issue.

#5 ·
Hi chaps. Aside from today's disaster(over egging I know), genuinely so glad to be back in an xf. The merc felt tinny, insubstantial and of course, was only a 4 pot.

Thank you, I'm going to check these points now as it happens. The loose connection may is possible, and would account for battery and the flurry of errors. These included transmission, which has actually been perfect through out.

The accentuation of an underlying fault is probably right. At 2700 revs acceleration it had felt like it lightened up a bit, not quite smooth. This was part of why I got the remap.

Could this be the actuator on the smaller turbo?? Read up on another thread a few min ago

Jag should be able to tell

Either way, the soot thrown by the remap is the same as my last map. I drive14 town mile daily with motorway every 4th day. The remap is jamming up my dpf in my opinion, so any mpg savings offset by trying to clear the stupid thing

Perhaps standard is the way to go

Thanks again

#6 ·
I have had a celtic remap and not long after having it done, i started to get a series of DTC error codes and restricted performance. It's not the remap, all that will do is ring to the front sooner any underlying issues with the car in my opinion. I actually had several issues with the DPF going to red, which resulted in the DPF being replaced and high fuel rail, despite this, the car still kept going to red DPF, after further investigation it turned out to be the actuator (only glad all the work was done under warranty).

Since all the work was done, I left the car without the remap on as they had to do a forced reset on the ECU to see how it behaved, which as expected was fine, i then had the map put back on the car again and touch would, not had an issue since.

Did you get a list of all the DTC codes? It would be work getting a print off from Jag when you take it in and of course, don't mention the remap at this time in my opinion.

Hope you get it sorted soon and at little cost mate

Dave

#7 ·
Dave
Thanks for that. I can see the logic- the map is flagging up underlying problems which the car may have just taken within"normal tolerance" before.

The more I think about it, this actuator may well be the culprit.
The hesitation at about2800 revs would certainly account for that.

I'll let you know what jag say. The fault codes were numerous (58) but they weren't time coded, so I suppose could have been from anytime in the last months /years and all lumped together. I know the mpg has not been as good as I expected since mapping

The battery connection was fine.

Will be taking the opportunity of ordering the xfr sills, have the part nos and just want them unpainted. Body shop offered to paint and fit for 120

What a pallaver. If there's a way of keeping the remap then happy days. Mine was the 325hp map. On a private road on Wed it booked a 5.0 sec 0-60 (running fine that day!), from just a normal start.
I can upload to YouTube if anyone interested. Thought pretty pokey for a diesel

Thanks again

#8 ·
This sounds like an air leak (which is known to drastically increase the amount of soot) or possibly the turbo actuator.

#12 ·
Celtic Tuning are in my opinion the best of the lot. they had tuned 3 cars including my old 2.7d XF without any problems, I did once ask about the excess soot entering the DPF when their map is applied and the reply was that they tell the car to regen more often within the map. I reckon you have Turbo actuator problems as this is a known problem or as others have said air leaks can also cause the same symptoms.

St Alfie:angel:

#13 ·
Update

Jag had the car for 4 days and were unable to reproduce the error code, driven it daily.
The chief engineer suspected the vacuum of the 2nd turbo but until the error appeared was reluctant to do so.
Car fine round town

No charge, asked me to run it the weekend and report back Mon. Washed it too

Tonight got it and went for a blast to Chester m57. Fine there
On way back, started feeling hesitant on acceleration around65-70

Uh oh

Then as accelerating POP "red restricted performance". Limp home mode
So annoying. Pulled over, it reset

Pulled away, happened again at approximately50 gentle acceleration
In tunnel so no choice but to carry on

2 minutes later Red Dpf light! The 2 are alternating between themselves

Aaaaargh!

#15 ·
I asked the question, he gave the impression that they were ok. I'm not convinced that all they did was drive it around for a few days, and did not check

I'm on the blower in the morning, not a happy chappy.

Just checked, engine management light on, red dpf on, and it sounds a bit rough.
Garage is less than a mile away, ok to run it there I hope

Could I ask. If the actuator valve is the issue, will this cause the dpf to block? Forgive my ignorance

#16 ·
It did on mine and that was after they replaced the DPF and high fuel rail, glad it was all under warranty for me. You should be fine driving it to the garage, just don't be heavy with the right foot

#18 ·
Update

The car was with jag from last Friday. Late Friday they spotted a crack in the rocker cover. When you put the accelerator down, gas was hissing out, demonstrated by the skilled technician. He put some washing up liquid in the area, making it even more obvious

The cover has been changed, and a forced regeneration of dpf also
Oil looked diluted, so I've asked for that to be changed also

Hopefully get it back tonight, fingers crossed! Although I am enjoying the c4 grand Picasso I hired....

He mentioned it seemed very quick. I hope the map is still on the car, would appear so

I'll update further. Thanks for all the help chaps

#23 ·
Now thought has sunk in - how does a cracked rocker cover cause RP? After all any air leak through a hairline crack is going to be minimal - is the crankcase ventilation system really that sensitive?

#24 ·
Just back, good run to Warrington and back.
Absolute flier. The acceleration at mway speeds is now immense. I suspect the issue may have been present for longer than I suspected.
Mpg now 38 town, and 44 mway, although only did about40 miles.
The wheels squirm on the off so I guess the remap is still on

I asked about the rocker cover. It was a n obvious split which when revved up, was visibly blowing bubbles and hissing(soap water on the split to demonstrate the split)

They had checked actuators and then looked under the covers, actuator s were fine

I asked about how Rp occurred.
It was suggested that due to the air pressure loss, it was pumping more fuel through.
This would explain why 1. Mpg was bad 2. Dpf blocked so fast 3. The multitude of errors on the computer, Inc multiple air flow/maf sensor faults

Glad to have the old girl back.
Next step, need to find some xf aero side sills.

Thanks to everyone here.

#27 ·
Umm, I still wonder if the split was in the inlet manifold rather than the rocker cover? That would leak as boost pressure built, can't see how the actual valve cover would have or should have high pressure underneath it.

Anyway, just glad it is fixed for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.