Jaguar Forum banner

xenon headlight querie.......

10K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Cj10jeeper 
#1 ·
i have bought 2 genuine xenon headlights, as im not too happy about having the aftermarket HID kit, although they work superbly, i want to do with out the aftermarket ballast units.
but heres the thing, the new OE xenons have i extra halogen bulb that im not familiar with.
there is the low beam xenon bulb with the ballast, and the side light, and the high beam halogen bulb, but there is a further halogen bulb in the low beam housing, mounted in the side of the housing, almost like a second low beam bulb (but halogen and not xenon?) anybody know what these are for?

the workshop manual i have says "cornering or static bending lamp" if fitted ???????

#2 ·
`they are the cornering lights, activated on cars with factory fit Xenons when the indicators are on at low speeds and when you turn the wheel as well.

#4 ·
Yes and yes, but cars without them from the factory don't activate them. When my dads car had its lights replaced after a small accident they bodyshop replaced the normal one with the bi-xenons. The bi-xenon bit works fine, the corner lamps do nothing, unlike in my XFR where they functioned as expected.

#6 ·
Have them on my retrofit OEM xenons too.
Everything is simply plug and play when swapping out halogens, however these cornering lights don't work. I figure they need sensors on the rack or signal from it to detect turning movement and possibly some coding. Never got around to looking into it further, but happy for you to discover how to make them work simply :)

#8 ·
The cornering lights turn on in combinations of either indicators or steering input. They certainly do not rely on the indicators being used to turn on, so I suspect there is a sensor on the steering rack. I was surprised at how useful they are, as when turning, the additional light fills in the gap between the headlights and the junction you are turning into. Simpler than having the headlights steerable (like the old Citroen's).

#9 ·
Can't remember back to when I read up on them but seem to recall they operated below a certain speed and above a certain angle of steering.

I'm sure they will need input from a sensor on the column or rack, which may already be there for other functions such as stability control and then a line of code to turn that to a lights on/off command and finally perhaps an extra pin the headlight loom.

Would be nice for a Jag lighting techy to explain it to us :)

#18 ·
I prefer the newer one, having had 2 classic shape, one of which was the XFR, the facelift car looks much more agressive from the front which I really like, and the none bulbous headlights are a vast improvement in both looks and light generation.

#19 ·
Jinxy - Looks are a personal preference, however why do you percieve that the facelift lights are a vast improvement in light generation?
Assuming xenon in both they use the same system (xenon bulb, lens, wattage, etc.), so should be identical light. Perhaps the pattern is different. Just curious with you having experience of both.

#20 ·
... Perhaps the pattern is different. Just curious with you having experience of both ...
One difference (due to the pattern) from MY2012 onward is that you do not need to adjust the lights when driving in the rest of europe .. meaning on the right side ;):D

#22 ·
found this definitive answer from jaguar topix.

Bi-Xenon Headlamp
The bi-xenon headlamp uses a projector lens, similar to the halogen headlamp. The projector module comprises an
ellipsoidal lens and a reflector. The projector reflector collects the light produced by the halogen bulb and projects the
light into a focal plane containing a shield. The contour of the shield is projected onto the road by the lens. A complex
surface reflector is used for the halogen fill in high beam lamp. This type of reflector is divided into separate parabolic
segments, with each segment having a different focal length. The low and high beam bulbs are quartz halogen H7, with a
rating of 55W. The bulbs are retained in the headlamp unit with conventional wire retaining clips.
A tourist lever mechanism is located on the right hand side of the projector module. This mechanism moves a flap to blank
off a portion of the beam spread to enable the vehicle to be driven in opposite drive hand markets without applying
blanking decals to the headlamp lens. The beam is changed by removing the access cover at the rear of the lamp assembly
and moving a small lever located near the bulb holder, at the side of the projector.
• NOTE: The tourist lever is not fitted to NAS vehicles.
WARNING: The Xenon system generates up to 30000 volts and contact with this voltage could lead to fatality. Make
sure that the headlamps are switched off before working on the system.
The following safety precautions must be adhered to when working on the xenon low beam headlamp system:
DO NOT attempt any procedures on the xenon headlamps when the lights are switched on.
Handling of the D1S xenon bulb must be performed using suitable protective equipment; for example gloves and
goggles. The glass part of the bulb must not be touched.
Xenon bulbs must be disposed of as hazardous waste.
Only operate the bulb in a mounted condition in the projector module installed in the headlamp.
The xenon headlamp is known as 'bi-xenon' because it operates as both a low and high beam headlamp unit. The xenon
lamp, or High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp as they are sometimes referred to, comprises an ellipsoidal lens with a
solenoid controlled shutter to change the beam output from low to high beam.
• NOTE: If the lighting control switch is in the 'off' position, both the xenon lamp and the halogen high beam lamp will
operate when the high beam 'flash' function is operated.
The xenon headlamp system is controlled by the CJB using a control module for each headlamp and an igniter. The control
modules and the igniters provide the regulated power supply required to illuminate the bulbs through their start-up phases
of operation.
The xenon headlamp is a self contained unit located within the headlamp assembly. The unit comprises a reflector, an
adaptor ring, the lens, a shutter controller and the xenon bulb, which together forms an assembly known as the projector
module. The reflector is curved and provides the mounting point for the xenon bulb. The bulb locates in a keyway to ensure
the correct alignment in the reflector and is secured by a plastic mounting ring. The bulb is an integral component of the
igniter and is electrically connected by a connector located in the igniter unit.
The shutter controller is a solenoid which operates the shutter mechanism via a lever. The shutter is used to change the
beam projection from low beam to high beam and vice versa.
The xenon bulbs illuminate when an arc of electrical current is established between 2 electrodes within the bulb. The
xenon gas sealed in the bulb reacts to the electrical excitation and the heat generated by the current flow to produce the
characteristic blue/white light.
To operate at full efficiency, the xenon bulb goes through 3 full stages of operation before full output for continuous
operation is achieved. The 3 phases are; start-up phase, warm-up phase and continuous phase.
In the start-up phase, the bulb requires an initial high voltage starting pulse of up to 30000 volts to establish the arc. This
is produced by the igniter. The warm-up phase begins once the arc is established. The xenon control module regulates the
supply to the bulb to 2.6A which gives a lamp output of 75W. During this phase, the xenon gas begins to illuminate
brightly and the environment within the bulb stabilizes, ensuring a continual current flow between the electrodes. When
the warm-up phase is complete, the xenon control module changes to continuous phase. The supply voltage to the bulb is
reduced and the operating power required for continual operation is reduced to 35W. The process from start-up to
continuous phase is completed in a very short time.
The xenon control modules (one per headlamp) receive an operating voltage from the CJB when the headlamps are
switched on. The modules regulate the power supply required through the phases of start-up.
The igniters (one per headlamp) generate the initial high voltage required to establish the arc. The igniters have integral
coils which generate high voltage pulses required for start-up. Once the xenon bulbs are operating, the igniters provide a
closed circuit for the regulated power supply from the control modules.
Halogen Low/high Beam Headlamp
The halogen low/high beam headlamp uses a projector lens, similar to the xenon headlamp. The projector module
comprises an ellipsoidal lens and a reflector. The projector reflector collects the light produced by the halogen bulb and
projects the light into a focal plane containing a shield. The contour of the shield is projected onto the road by the lens.
The low/high beam bulbs are quartz halogen and are retained in the headlamp unit with conventional wire retaining clips.
A tourist lever mechanism is located on the right hand side of the projector module. This mechanism moves a flap to blank
off a portion of the beam spread to enable the vehicle to be driven in opposite drive hand markets without applying
blanking decals to the headlamp lens. The beam is changed by removing the access cover at the rear of the lamp assembly
and moving a small lever located near the bulb holder, at the side of the projector.
Halogen High Beam Headlamp - Xenon and Halogen
The xenon and halogen headlamps use a complex surface reflector for the halogen fill in high beam lamp only lighting unit,
which is of the same design on both headlamp types. This type of reflector has the reflector divided into separate
parabolic segments, with each segment having a different focal length.
The high beam headlamp bulbs are quartz halogen and are retained in the headlamp unit with conventional wire retaining
clips.
Cornering Lamps
• NOTE: The cornering lamps are not fitted to NAS vehicles.
The cornering lamps are an optional feature designed to illuminate the direction of travel when cornering at low speeds.
The design of the lens projects a spread of light from the vehicle at approximately 45 degrees to the vehicle axis. The
cornering lamp is incorporated into the headlamp assembly and shares the same housing as the low beam headlamp. The
cornering lamp uses a 35W Halogen H8 bulb which is permanently located in an integral holder which is connected on the
headlamp housing. The holder is located in an aperture in the headlamp housing and rotated to lock. The bulb is
accessible via a removable cover on the base of the headlamp housing.
The cornering lamps are controlled by the LH steering column multifunction switch with the lighting control switch in the
headlamp position and the ignition in power mode 6. The cornering lamps are supplied power via the ignition circuit to
ensure that they do not function with the headlamp delay feature. The cornering lamps are deactivated if the vehicle
speed exceeds 25 mph (40 km/h). Only one cornering lamp will illuminate at any one time. If the left hand turn signal
indicators are selected on, the left hand cornering lamp will be illuminated and vice versa, providing the vehicle speed and
lighting control switch positions are correct.
Static Bending Lamps
• NOTE: The static bending lamps are not fitted to NAS vehicles.
The static bending lamps are designed to illuminate the direction of travel when cornering at low speeds. The static
bending lamp functionality, which is controlled by the CJB and the headlamp leveling module, operates using inputs from
the steering angle sensor and vehicle speed information from the ABS (anti-lock brake system) module. The static bending
lamp is incorporated into the headlamp assembly and shares the same housing as the low beam headlamp. The design of
the lens projects a spread of light from the vehicle at approximately 45 degrees to the vehicle axis. The static bending
lamp uses a 35W Halogen H8 bulb which locates in a holder which is connected via wires to the main connector on the
headlamp housing. The holder is located in an aperture in the headlamp housing and rotated to lock. The bulb is
accessible via a removable cover at the rear of the headlamp housing.
The static bending lamps operate with a steering angle sensor CAN bus signal which is received by the CJB. The CJB
monitors this signal and vehicle speed and activates the static bending lamp bulb. When the operation parameters of the
lamp are reached, the CJB fades the static bending lamp bulb on using a PWM (pulse width modulation) voltage over a
period of approximately 2 seconds. When the lamp is switched off, the CJB fades the bulb off by decreasing the PWM
voltage in a linear manner depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. The cornering lamps can only be active for a
maximum of 3 minutes.
• NOTE: Static bending lamps only operate when the transmission is in DRIVE or in SPORT.

#23 ·
The xenon reference looks like the older style of headlights. Still not sure why (or if) the facelift is more effective. I can see it doesn't need the tourist lever as it uses a different lens design for the beam cut-off, but that's probably not related. I'll assume just a more effiecient gathering of the light by the reflector.

I do recall reading this about staic bending and cornering lamps and given the number of inputs that's when I decised not tto attempt to make them work on mine :(

#24 ·
Personally I find the beam pattern to be, for the lack of a better term, better, it seems to cast more light in front of the car and deliver a more consistent pattern than the non facelifted car. Theres not a massive amount of difference but there is, to me at least, a noticeable one and I am very sensitive to the lights on cars and the light on they cast on the road.

#25 ·
well jinxy, you would know having owned them both and had dramas.
all i know is the difference between halogen and xenon is like night and day, and with the OE xenon lights its better again, i have never had a need to use high beam since fitting them.
MOT time....bring it on...lol.

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks Jinxy for the explanation related to why you perceive the facelift ligh to be better.

As for the later cars ability to use them for flash to pass - they just got better with the technology. Older xenons took too long to strike up and were damaged by repeated on/off cycles. They have fixed that, so can use them to flash.

Saoirse - OEM xenon - no issue mine passed MOT last month without issues.

#31 ·
It's quite noticeable the thump noise you get when you flash the lights on the facelift assume that's ballast dumping into the light the light them up.

#37 ·
I would assume the default is dipped else every time you switched on the headlights they'd be on main then dip, potentially dazzling someone for a second.

#35 ·
Both the cars I drove recently (XF Portfolio S and Evoque ) had Xenons - and they both vibrated/flickered up and down in tune with road bumps. Is that normal?

#36 ·
I have also had both a pre-facelift and now a facelift, other than the obvious visuals, I couldn't detect a better throw of light on the facelift.
One of my early issues with the facelift was the "awkward" looking headlights, however, I grew to really like them.

From the front, the facelift could be mistaken for an XJ and so it could be considered a baby XJ, where as the pre-facelift has a unique visual and unmistakeably an XF in its own right!

As a future classic, I suspect the pre-facelift will be the most sought after version because of its unique lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.