Jaguar Forum banner

Manual Gearbox

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  MAPS 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That's it, I've now decided what I'm going to do after months of dithering, thanks Colin.
I'm gunna keep my XFS for another two years or so, save my pennies, and get a manual F-Type S coupe.

#4 ·
I must agree here. I was always a lover of manuals but with the XF paddles being so good I've kind of lost interest in pure manuals. Having an auto box for busy town work and quick changing paddles is to me ideal.

#5 ·
We now actually don't have a manual car in the household.

I think that were I to want a track-focussed car like a Caterham or Radical, I would want a manual, but for road use, no matter how "sporty"? I don't miss stirring the cogs with a lever, and the F type R coupe I drove recently certainly was none the lesser for being an auto.

But I know there are many who actually want to shift manually, so it is good to see Jaguar making something available for them.

#7 ·
I'm the opposite, the Auto's have a place and are very good when in heavy traffic, but IMO, you just can't beat a manual.

The ZF box with the paddles really is good, but it's not perfect......try changing a gear on anything less than a straight road or use the paddles to drop a gear in readiness for an overtake, pull out, floor the throttle and the auto box drops another cog and puts a diesel engine at 4000rpm (revving its nuts off with no power).

I love the engaging feeling when out in the TVR, makes me feel like i'm driving a car, far more involving :)

But each to their own and hopefully the manual gearbox will find its way into other models as an option, I for one, would take the option, even if it was an on-cost.

#8 ·
The Jag is the first auto I have owned in over 40 years, one reason I got it was the commute to and from work through the city at peak hour, a bit of a pain with a manual.
But I retired nearly six months ago and I hardly ever need to battle peak hour traffic any more.
I've always preferred the control of a manual over an auto, you decide what gear you want when you want.
The ZF 6 speed is pretty good, but IMHO it's still not as 'immediate' or engaging as a manual, even using the paddles.
So I'm pining for a manual again, preferably a Jag and reasonably sporty, and the manual F-Type ticks all the boxes for me.

#10 ·
Here's my considered view: You can stuff your manual box up your arse! :D The auto in the XF gives me everything I want. Calm, relaxed driving. But control and fun when I want it with no left-foot action! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.